Susanne Strong's Reviews > Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

bookshelves: audiobooks, 2017-five-star-books, favorites, must-read

5 Stars.
“Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine” but after finishing this novel, I am not.

I was completely unprepared for the life of Eleanor Oliphant and that of her ‘Mummy.” To be frank, I was ill-equipped to deal with it, much like Eleanor. And it wrecked me.

At thirty years-old, Eleanor Oliphant is alone in this world. She always has been, actually. In and out of foster care since she was a little girl, she has never been touched by anyone in a loving way and doesn’t even know what that would feel like, but that’s ok. All of her physical needs are met, you see and she has never had any emotional needs.

Seeing as she doesn’t have any friends, Eleanor is quiet and socially awkward. Everyone thinks she is fairly strange, if you must to know. Not that she minds since people’s behavior makes absolutely no sense to her. She is good at being alone and she does not feel sorry for herself. Not even when ‘Mummy’ calls and viciously tells her daughter off and berates her for being being “naughty.” Eleanor, however wears a coat of armor and does her best to let her mother’s words bounce off of her.

Eleanor has no aspirations though she has done accounting at an office for the last 9 years. Every day of her life is the same and she would be nothing without routine. One night, all of that changes rather abruptly. After work, she and a coworker named Raymond whom she just met and who happens to be leaving the office at the same time as her, find themselves in the exact right place at the right time. Both Eleanor and Raymond see a man (named Samuel), go down on the sidewalk and they go have a look see and discover that he needs an ambulance. This incident ends up tying the three together and becomes one of the most significant in Eleanor Oliphant’s life. It forges a bond of friendship between them, which is something Eleanor has never experienced before in all her thirty years.

During this time, Eleanor also ends up finding him. The man she has been waiting for all of her life. The man she is meant to be with. Now she just has to get him to notice her. In trying to do so, Eleanor grows bolder and more confident. She also learns to lean on and open herself up to her new friends.

Throughout the book, Eleanor slowly experiences a metamorphosis, one that often makes you smile, laugh and of course, cry. She is damaged and quirky but oh so special. I loved her dearly. For more reasons than one. I identified with Eleanor Oliphant you see, and for that, I was unprepared. I did say that this book wrecked me right?! I get why Eleanor is Completely Fine. She had no choice. Unfortunately, Eleanor’s ‘Mummy’ is someone I recognized fairly well. When I heard her voice (in a Scottish accent) on the audiobook, and the way she spoke to her daughter, my chest got tight and my throat closed up and I sobbed. Unlike Eleanor's “Mummy” however, mine happens to be British instead of Scottish - though the accents are close, thus I therefore guess that listening to the audiobook had an even more profound effect on me. I’ve had similar conversations, in case it wasn’t obvious and I felt Eleanor’s pain more deeply as it related to her ‘Mummy’, for at certain times in my life, it mirrored my own. All that aside however, Eleanor does not go quietly into the dark goodnight (and neither did I, for what it’s worth).

Though it affected me greatly, “Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine” is without a doubt one of the most incredible, profound, and beautifully well written novels I have absorbed in ages. It wrecked me in the best and worst ways possible. In case it’s not obvious, it will stay with me for a long time. I think I came across it on purpose as both Eleanor Oliphant and I needed something from it and I think we were both lucky enough to receive it.

Published on Goodreads and Amazon on 6.26.17.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine.

May 10, 2017 – Shelved
May 10, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
June 22, 2017 – Started Reading
June 22, 2017 – Shelved as: audiobooks
June 25, 2017 –
48.0% "Evoking so many emotions. Loving Eleanor and how she is opening herself up to new things.. yet certain aspects of her life are extremely hard for me to handle: i.e. her mother."
June 26, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-five-star-books
June 26, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites
June 26, 2017 – Shelved as: must-read
June 26, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 246 (246 new)

message 1: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Great review Susanne!:-)

message 2: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam Smith Excellent review Susanne 😍

Paromjit Excellent Susanne...loved your personal response to the book x

Bianca Exquisite review. I really loved this novel as well.

Debbie Wonderful review! You liked it a little more than I did, but I smile just thinking about it and I have to agree, it was near perfect!

Mary What a touching,thoughtful and emotive review. The fact that Eleanor resonated with on such a deep level probably made reading this book a bittersweet experience.
No,it would appear that you certainly didn't go quietly into the dark night. Well done,on many levels!

Angela M Wonderful review, Susanne. So many of my friends loved this . I've got to read it soon. I think I will too.

message 8: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Great review, Susanne! I can't wait to read this.

Kristy Awesome review, Susanne! I keep hearing nothing but good things about this book! I have finally given in and put it on hold at the library. :)

message 10: by James (new)

James Wow! Amazing review. I need to move this up on my TBR.

message 11: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn C. Loved your review, Susanne!

message 12: by Taryn (new) - added it

Taryn Fantastic review! I've been on the fence about reading this one, but your response to it sold me on it!

message 13: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly  B Love your review Susanne :)

Susanne  Strong Kaceey wrote: "Great review Susanne!:-)"

Thank you so much Ms. Kaceey!

Susanne  Strong Miriam wrote: "Excellent review Susanne 😍"

Thanks Miriam! :)

Susanne  Strong Paromjit wrote: "Excellent Susanne...loved your personal response to the book x"

Thanks Paromjit! You never know how books will affect you.. and you never know if you should share your personal response to book - but I think it is our experiences and thoughts about a book that make our reviews special, hence why I share, thus I truly appreciate your comment. THANK YOU Paromjit! Your support means the world. :)

Susanne  Strong Bianca wrote: "Exquisite review. I really loved this novel as well."

Glad you loved the novel as well Bianca! And thank you so much!

Susanne  Strong Debbie wrote: "Wonderful review! You liked it a little more than I did, but I smile just thinking about it and I have to agree, it was near perfect!"

Thank you Debbie! Glad you enjoyed it. I get how there were certain things about it that you might now have loved but it was sweet for sure. :)

Susanne  Strong Mary wrote: "What a touching,thoughtful and emotive review. The fact that Eleanor resonated with on such a deep level probably made reading this book a bittersweet experience.
No,it would appear that you certa..."

Ms. Mary!!! Your kind words mean more than I can being to express! Thank you kindly! Books effect each one of us so differently based on the lives we've lived you know.. and expressing that in our reviews and sharing thoughts and ideas is a truly incredible. Thank you for your support!

Susanne  Strong Angela M wrote: "Wonderful review, Susanne. So many of my friends loved this . I've got to read it soon. I think I will too."

Ms. Angela! You always give yourself over wholly to each and every book that you read thus I would LOVE to see what you think of this one! I'll be on the look out for review my friend. :)

Susanne  Strong Meredith wrote: "Great review, Susanne! I can't wait to read this."

Awesome Meredith! I'll be looking forward to your thoughts! And thank you!

Susanne  Strong Kristy wrote: "Awesome review, Susanne! I keep hearing nothing but good things about this book! I have finally given in and put it on hold at the library. :)"

Yes!!! That's fabulous news Kristy! It's one heck of a special book my friend! And thank you!

Susanne  Strong James wrote: "Wow! Amazing review. I need to move this up on my TBR."

Thank you so much James! I'll be anxiously awaiting your review my friend!

Susanne  Strong Marilyn wrote: "Loved your review, Susanne!"

Thank you Ms. Marilyn!

Susanne  Strong Taryn wrote: "Fantastic review! I've been on the fence about reading this one, but your response to it sold me on it!"

Ah Taryn!! I'm so glad you decided to read it. I think that this book will have such an impact on you!! Keep me posted my friend. And thank you so very much. :)

message 26: by Susanne (last edited Jun 27, 2017 06:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susanne  Strong Holly wrote: "Love your review Susanne :)"

Thank you so much Holly! I really appreciate it!

message 27: by Jill (new) - added it

Jill McGill Awesome review, Susanne! Now I really have to read this one... you sold me! :)

Susanne  Strong Jill wrote: "Awesome review, Susanne! Now I really have to read this one... you sold me! :)"

YEAH! I am so happy Jill! This is one truly special boo. I can't wait to see your thoughts! ;)

Lisa *OwlBeSatReading* Wow, Susanne, your review is really touching! It is a great book, I also loved it and could definitely relate to certain aspects.

message 30: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike A fantastic review, Susanne. I can see that this one clearly resonated with you.

message 31: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Clemence Susanne- great review. Eleanor sounds like a character I can't wait to love!! Like Don in "The Rosie Project" I think I am going to have another character to love!! Same name as my deceased grandmother (Eleanor) along with our shared trait of social awkwardness, I can't wait to bond with E!!

Lisa *OwlBeSatReading* Erin wrote: "Susanne- great review. Eleanor sounds like a character I can't wait to love!! Like Don in "The Rosie Project" I think I am going to have another character to love!! Same name as my deceased grandmo..."

Erin - The Rosie Project is possibly my next read! ☺ I do love it when characters have such connectivity.

message 33: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Masterson Wonderful review, Susanne! I'm so happy to hear this worked well in audio! :)

Linda Oh, Susanne, I could just give you a huge hug! What a wonderful review, and sharing part of your life with us was so very touching. I've had this book, since it was released, and it sits patiently on my book shelf waiting for me! Now, I shall think of you, when I read it! xo

Susanne  Strong Lisa *OwlBeSatReading* wrote: "Wow, Susanne, your review is really touching! It is a great book, I also loved it and could definitely relate to certain aspects."

First Lisa, thank you so much for your truly sweet words. They mean so much to me! Second, I am so glad that you loved the book also and could relate to parts of this amazing novel! Ms. Eleanor was so special wasn't she?! Loved!

Susanne  Strong Mike wrote: "A fantastic review, Susanne. I can see that this one clearly resonated with you."

Thank you Mike! That means a lot!

Susanne  Strong Erin wrote: "Susanne- great review. Eleanor sounds like a character I can't wait to love!! Like Don in "The Rosie Project" I think I am going to have another character to love!! Same name as my deceased grandmo..."

Ah Erin! I think you will form an amazing bond with Ms. Eleanor Oliphant! My heart is so excited for you to read this! And thank you!

Susanne  Strong Jennifer wrote: "Wonderful review, Susanne! I'm so happy to hear this worked well in audio! :)"

Thanks Jennifer! The audio was phenomenal! I think you would really like it a lot! :)

Susanne  Strong Linda wrote: "Oh, Susanne, I could just give you a huge hug! What a wonderful review, and sharing part of your life with us was so very touching. I've had this book, since it was released, and it sits patiently ..."

Thank you to the moon and back Ms. Linda! You are so very special! I will accept your hug and send one right back to you! I think you will absolutely LOVE this book and I can not wait to hear your insightful thoughts on it. :)

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Susanne, this review! It really moved me. I think it's the connections we make to books are the best things about reading. Those unexpected personal ties to characters, events, setting. Even more than enjoying the book, I'm glad there was another purpose in your reading this one. I definitely want to read it, too.

message 41: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Awesome review, Susanne! 💕

Susanne  Strong Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Susanne, this review! It really moved me. I think it's the connections we make to books are the best things about reading. Those unexpected personal ties to characters, events, setting. Even more t..."

Oh Ms. Jennifer! You are exactly right! As I was in the midst of it, I knew there was a reason i picked it (and no one's review "spoiled" it, thus leaving me unprepared). I needed to feel those feelings and go through things with Eleanor. I would love to see your thoughts on this one my friend! I will be awaiting your review! :) Thank you so much for your lovely words!

Susanne  Strong Nazanin wrote: "Awesome review, Susanne! 💕"

Thanks Nazanin!

message 44: by Fran (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fran Susanne..what an excellent review. Eleanor did not have a chance growing up with a "Mummy" like that manipulating her then and continuing into the present. Eleanor was a fragile, wounded bird who didn't know she could fly. I was so proud of her eventual blossoming. I do not use audiobooks but I imagine that at various points during Mummy's tirades you might have been compelled to pull off the road to gather your thoughts.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* I love this review!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Fantastic review Susanne! Sounds like such a wonderful and impactful book. I'm hoping to read it soon - your review makes me want to read it ASAP!! :-)

Carol (Bookaria) Looking forward to this one

Larry H Terrific, moving, profound review, Susanne! Thanks for sharing how much this affected you. It truly was special!!

Kendall Susanne! I absolutely LOVED your review. This is why I love good reads so much because we often find novels that touch us and inspire us in many ways that we never thought. I'm glad to see that you unexpectedly connected to this one. I am going to definitely add this now! Thank you for the inspiring review! 💚

Deanna Your review touched me, Susanne. I am sending you the hugest hugs possible. I'm so sorry for what you went through but I love that Eleanor and YOU did not go quietly into the dark goodnight.
Thank you for opening yourself up and sharing your connection with the book and thank you for such a fantastic review.
<3<3<3<3<3