Heather's Reviews > The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes, Volume III: The Novels

1983155
Aug 17, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: book-club-picks, classic-lit, 19th-century, brit-lit

The pick for book club was actually just The Hound of the Baskervilles, but as I had the book from the library, I thought I'd read the other stories too. As stories go, they were great. You really can't go wrong with Sherlock Holmes for a good, quick mystery. I've had to rate this edition down a star though, because of the annotations. I couldn't ignore them (if there are words I must read them LOL) and I found them both illuminating and annoying. Sometimes the information was beneficial and actually improved my understanding of the story, but most of the time it did not. Much of it was arcane information on the history of some institution mentioned in the text, but none of the background information was even remotely relevant to the story. In addition, the editor is evidently a "Sherlockian", one of those people who like to pretend that Sherlock Holmes was a real person and these were real cases. Thus, most of the annotations persisted in pointless speculation as to where this or that location actually exists, what breed the Baskerville hound *really* was, and other such fantastical argument. So for the distraction from the stories, I'm only giving this 2 stars. Next time I want to read Holmes I'll get an edition without all the extraneous verbiage.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes, Volume III.