Clair's Reviews > Dancers in the Wind

Dancers in the Wind by Anne Coates

bookshelves: 2017-reads

Set in the early 1990’s (lots of conversations on landlines rather than mobiles and photocopying rather than email!) Dancers in the Wind introduces us to Hannah Weybridge; a journalist who has recently returned to working for The News on a freelance basis following the birth of her daughter. One of her first freelance assignments is an interview with a prostitute who touts for business around Kings Cross. Hannah’s interview is to coincide with a documentary that Princess will also feature in.

Tom Jordan is investigating the murders of prostitutes whose bodies are being dumped on his patch – clearly murdered elsewhere and disposed of like rubbish. Princess nearly becomes another victim but somehow summands the strength to escape her would-be killers – however this ends up bringing danger to Hannah’s door as she is the only one Princess knows who she can trust.

Dancers in the Wind is mainly told from Hannah’s perspective but at times, Coates does share a different voice to show a different side of the narrative. I particularly liked hearing from Caroline (aka Princess) as it shows her vulnerable side – not just the ballsy working girl that she performs as.

I warmed to both Hannah and Tom, Hannah was conflicted between helping Caroline and keeping her daughter safe – the bond that she built with Caroline was nice and I really empathised with why she wanted to help her. I also liked Tom, he seemed right from the start a genuine man who just wanted justice for these vulnerable girls who are seemingly being preyed upon.

Dancers in the Wind is an interesting take on a crime thriller, told mainly from the point of view of a journalist rather than the investigative team which leads to not being able to really, completely trust anyone! A solid start to a new series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dancers in the Wind.

May 10, 2017 – Started Reading
May 10, 2017 – Shelved
May 11, 2017 –
May 13, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-reads
May 13, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Miriam Smith Excellent review x