Tucker's Reviews > Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

bookshelves: my-favorites

I’ve heard a lot of good things about “Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, “ but I must admit I was somewhat reluctant to read it. I’ve recently read several novels about social misfits like Eleanor and felt like I needed a break from that type of character. Also, Gail Honeyman is a debut author whose work was only discovered through a writing competition. (How good could she be?) I decided to give Eleanor half an hour, but after only ten minutes of reading I was totally hooked and my reluctance and skepticism were thrown out the window. Despite the tremendous amount of pain Eleanor has experienced, the book is funny, poignant, charming, touching, joyful, and an absolute wonder. Finish whatever you’re currently reading and without delay start “Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine.” All those rave reviews are right - Gail Honeyman is an exceptional author and this is a novel not to be missed.

Thank you to Penguin Viking and NetGalley for an advance copy of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine.

Started Reading
May, 2017 – Finished Reading
May 10, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)

Anula Started it only yesterday. Had to, after all those superb reviews on GR have to find out for myself if it's really worth all that attention.

Christine I could have written your first sentence, Tucker! I am now in line to get it from my library.

Lindsey Gandhi Great Review, and spot on! I loved this book and wasn't sure myself how I'd like it either at first. It's being made I to a movie, it'll be interesting to see who gets cast as the charscters....

Staci Great review! I need to get to this one!

Tucker Anula wrote: "Started it only yesterday. Had to, after all those superb reviews on GR have to find out for myself if it's really worth all that attention."

I hope you love it as much as I did!

Tucker Christine wrote: "I could have written your first sentence, Tucker! I am now in line to get it from my library."

Thanks Christine! Hope you get it from the library soon!

message 7: by Tucker (last edited Mar 12, 2018 09:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tucker Thanks Staci! I think it would solve a reading slump for just about anyone!

Tucker Thanks Lindsey! I'm so glad I didn't pass it by!

Thanks Christine! I hope it arrives soon!

I hope you love it as much as I did!

Celia I love it when someone agrees with me. I had the same feelings as you about this book. Very nice review, Tucker.

j e w e l s haaaa, you sound like me, Tucker! I was only going to read the first few pages of the Kindle preview, and I COULD NOT STOP! it really is a wonderful book! so glad you liked it too

Cathrine ☯️ So unloved in the book, so loved by all of us!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Lovely review, Tucker! I can’t wait to read it!

Peebee I was with you -- sometimes I feel like those kinds of "quirky" characters are overdone -- but it was a really wonderful book.

Tucker Celia wrote: "I love it when someone agrees with me. I had the same feelings as you about this book. Very nice review, Tucker."

Thanks Celia! Such a great book!

Tucker j e w e l s wrote: "haaaa, you sound like me, Tucker! I was only going to read the first few pages of the Kindle preview, and I COULD NOT STOP! it really is a wonderful book! so glad you liked it too"

I'm hoping there's a new book soon!!

Tucker Cathrine ☯️ wrote: "So unloved in the book, so loved by all of us!"

What a perfect description Cathrine!

Tucker Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Lovely review, Tucker! I can’t wait to read it!"

Thanks Jennifer! I'll be anxious to read your review.

Tucker Peebee wrote: "I was with you -- sometimes I feel like those kinds of "quirky" characters are overdone -- but it was a really wonderful book."<

I totally agree about the "quirky" characters being overdone, but it worked perfectly in this book.

message 21: by Luvtoread (new)

Luvtoread Terrific review Tucker! I need to read this book!!

Jenny I think you'd really like The Keeper of Lost Things & Lost For Words (according to goodreads we like the same & dislike the same books :) )

message 23: by Pat (new)

Pat Great review Tucker and, OK, I'll bite. I thought it would probably be a pretty good book but not for me but I'm prepared to be wrong.

Tucker Jenny wrote: "I think you'd really like The Keeper of Lost Things & Lost For Words (according to goodreads we like the same & dislike the same books :) )"

Thanks for the recommendations Jenny! I haven't read either of those and I'm always looking for recommendations from GR friends. By the way, I love your photo!

Tucker Pat wrote: "Great review Tucker and, OK, I'll bite. I thought it would probably be a pretty good book but not for me but I'm prepared to be wrong."

Thanks Pat. I hope you like it and that I'm not wrong!

Tucker Luvtoread wrote: "Terrific review Tucker! I need to read this book!!"

Thanks, and yes I think you need to read it!!

Rachel Glad you liked it! I loved it!

Tucker Rachel wrote: "Glad you liked it! I loved it!"

I hope Gail Honeyman is busy on a new book!

message 29: by Jane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane One of my favorite books ever!

Melissa Great review, Tucker! Not sure what took me so long to pick this up, but I'm SO glad I did.

Tucker Melissa wrote: "Great review, Tucker! Not sure what took me so long to pick this up, but I'm SO glad I did."

Thanks Melissa! Everyone I know (in real life) has loved this book, and I loved recommending it to them and on GR.