Robin (Bridge Four)'s Reviews > The Red Lily

The Red Lily by Juliette Cross

Released Today

The Black Lily (Vampire Blood #1)

Fairytale retelling of Little Red Riding Hood with Vampires. Um....yes please.

description

Little Red Riding Hood isn’t exactly my favorite fairytale but I seem to really enjoy re-tellings of it and Juliette Cross’s interpretation is no different.

Sienna lived in the woods with her grandmother for years. She has heard all about the temptations that they can offer a young woman. Sienna never dreamed that she would ever be interested in a vampire but that all changed when Nicolai and his prince joined the Black Lily and came into her life.

I love Nicolai. I’m not sure if he is intended to be the woodsman in this or the big bad wolf but he does have a silver tongue and says some the best things to Sienna.
“None of them hold a candle to you,” he said abruptly. “Your alabaster skin glows and looks so soft, it begs to be touched. Your auburn hair, even coiffed in a simple braid, is fine as silk. Your carriage when you walk, when you sit so still as you are now, denotes a genteel lady of the highest ranking. And your eyes”— he shook his head, a smile quirking one side of his mouth—“ you could slay many a man with one come-hither look.”
Catching her breath after such a speech, she said, “I would never tempt a man unwittingly.”
“Sweetheart, you could tempt the devil to his death if you so choose. I thought you would do so to me last night.”

As they travel the land to try and recruit more people into the revolution they become better acquainted and fall into more and more danger. The queen in onto them and sending some of her special vampires after the duo trying to stop them from picking up anymore supporters. Man I hate the evil queen who seems to view humans as disposable and just cattle to be slaughtered. She and her son do some extremely despicable things in this installment and I can’t wait for them to get what is coming to them. I’m really hoping that Sienna will be able to be a powerful player with the gifts that have been bestowed to her in this book, especially after the price she had to pay to get them. But I’m glad that she has found a powerful protector along the way.

Like always Juliette Cross has some very unique interpretations of the lore normally surrounding fairytales and she gives us a good story. I enjoyed my time with Sienna and Nicolai and at the same time found myself really excited for some of the upcoming stories that seem to be in the works for this series. Specifically one that seems set up for a sleeping beauty retelling.
“The Royal Legionnaires locked Mina in her tower and starved her until she collapsed. Under the queen’s orders, they now feed her one drop of blood per week. Enough to keep her alive, but also trapped in the darkness of a hungry sleep.”

I’m very excited to see who will be the one to try and wake the sleeping princess.

I’m not really into vampires but I loved that this book also incorporated the Heartwolves more, their place in the forest and why they choose to protect Sienna. Their history was incredibly interesting and I wonder if they will get to play a bigger role in the revolution later as well.

Overall this is a really solid and interesting retelling with some steaminess added in. I like that most of Juliette’s works are 200-250 pages which is a perfect size read when you just want something a little sexy and fun.

Thank you to the Author Juliette Cross for the ARC in exchange for review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Lily.

May 10, 2017 – Started Reading
May 10, 2017 – Shelved
May 20, 2017 –
25.0% "“But I certainly didn’t believe you’d actually ever offer yourself. I’m starting to believe the rumors that you are a witch. For I felt quite enchanted and unable to do anything but take your offering.”
“Stop teasing me, Nikolai. I was only—”
He gripped her arm and stopped her in her tracks. “I am not teasing.” His jaw clenched tight. “I could not resist you last night if the world itself was on fire.”
"
May 30, 2017 –
77.0% "He was dangerous on any other day. But today, he was utterly lethal. He stood over Sienna like a dragon over his most precious treasure, daring any man to come close where he could devour them."
June 5, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-reads
June 5, 2017 – Shelved as: sexy
June 5, 2017 – Shelved as: uf-pnr
June 5, 2017 – Shelved as: witches-warlocks-and-magic
June 5, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Juliette (new) - added it

Juliette Cross Thank you, Robin! Much appreciated. :)

Robin (Bridge Four) Juliette wrote: "Thank you, Robin! Much appreciated. :)"

Thank you Juliette. I really love your interpretation and spin of some classic fairy tales.

message 3: by Juliette (new) - added it

Juliette Cross So wonderful to hear! :) Snow White is next.

Robin (Bridge Four) Juliette wrote: "So wonderful to hear! :) Snow White is next."

Nice! I guessed sleeping beauty but I like Snow White too.

message 5: by Cyndi (new) - added it

Cyndi Great review! I will definitely check these out!

message 6: by Juliette (new) - added it

Juliette Cross Sleeping Beauty is last. ;)