Helen's Reviews > The Great Passage

The Great Passage by Shion Miura

bookshelves: cover-love, reviewed, romance, bookworm, diversity, favourites

How can a book about a small department at a publishing house creating a dictionary be so wonderful?

Wrapped up in the main story about the creation of the dictionary there are three different stories about the people in the dictionary department. One is about a man who learns to connect with people, one is a woman who learns not to judge others, and the other is about a man who learns that it's ok to show that you care about things.

The translator has done a great job. There is a lot of discussion about the meaning and origin of words and I'm impressed by how these have been translated from the original Japanese to still make sense in English. A couple of times I had to re-read paragraphs a few times to follow the meanings, but the majority of them were easy to follow.

The geeky side of me enjoyed the bits about describing words and the look at how a dictionary is created. The three stories with their quirky characters provide a warm, human element that I could connect with.

I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to. It made me smile while I was reading it and even though the ending has some sad moments it left me happier and I'm glad I took a chance on it.

Also, I love the cover!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Passage.

May 10, 2017 – Shelved
May 10, 2017 – Shelved as: own-and-need-to-read
May 18, 2017 – Started Reading
May 18, 2017 –
May 18, 2017 –
38.0% "I'm enjoying this, it's making me smile :)"
May 19, 2017 – Shelved as: cover-love
May 19, 2017 – Shelved as: reviewed
May 19, 2017 – Shelved as: romance
May 19, 2017 – Shelved as: bookworm
May 19, 2017 – Shelved as: diversity
May 19, 2017 – Finished Reading
July 21, 2017 – Shelved as: favourites

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Sarah H Loved your review! I totally agree with you!!

Helen Sarah wrote: "Loved your review! I totally agree with you!!"
Thanks, Sarah!

Karen You described my sentiments about the book exactly.

Helen Karen wrote: "You described my sentiments about the book exactly."
:D thank you Karen!