K.J. Dell'Antonia's Reviews > Good Eggs

Good Eggs by Phoebe Potts

I love a graphic memoir, and I loved this one. I adore how tight and condensed the words of the story become, while the story itself, through the drawings, sprawls out as wide as any story can. I had a hard time putting this down to sleep. If you're not a graphic novel reader, but you like memoir, you might be surprised how easily and thoroughly you get caught up.

As for story, this is a fresh, wry look at fertility treatments and at what it feels like to be, again and again, on the unsuccessful end of them. I think the drawings of Phoebe trying to give herself shots in the stomach will stay with me forever, both for their humor and for their grim depiction of a woman wadding up her own stomach fat with one hand, needle in the other. And as a wanna-be memoir writer myself, I'm touched by how Phoebe was able to go back and capture her own renewed optimism every time, and I loved the moment when she decided that what she REALLY needed was to become a rabbi. This is a woman who knows herself far too well--I'm glad she made good use of it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Eggs.

Started Reading