Sarah's Reviews > Hot Shot

Hot Shot by Kelly Jamieson

liked it

I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This definitely isn’t my favourite Kelly Jamieson romance. As always, this is a sweet, feelgood, fluffy story but it is incredibly formulaic and I didn’t connect very well with either of the main characters.

I struggled to relate to Carrie in any way. She is a gorgeous and successful model with artistic talent, good friends and a close, supportive family. Sadly, beautiful Carrie didn’t always feel attractive as a child and she hasn’t always felt valued by her business minded family. Hmm. Yeah. I couldn’t relate, couldn’t connect and I really couldn’t summon any empathy.

Marco is a bit more interesting. His years in foster care were genuinely difficult and I like the life he has worked hard to build for himself. His relationships with his Marine buddies are strong and supportive. He is kind to children and good with Carrie’s family. My only gripe is that he’s kinda blandly perfect.

Marco and Carrie bring a whole lot of emotional angst to a pretty straightforward relationship. Insecurities, misunderstandings and secret emotions add drama - but for me it was a little OTT and unnecessary. I enjoyed some of the scenes with Carrie’s family. Her niece and her grandmother add colour and warmth to the story.

Something I’ve commented on before when reviewing other series by this author is my aversion to the cozy girly moments that build as each series progresses. In this book, the girly wedding planning and girly cocktail evenings made Carrie feel even more superficial. Carrie is another of Kelly Jamieson’s stock female characters and I’m a little tired of their supercool jobs and their blandly cool, super girly lifestyles.

This isn’t a bad book, but there is nothing remarkable about it and not much is different from so many of this author’s other books. Like the characters and the storyline, this book is fluffy, predictable and fairly superficial.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hot Shot.

Finished Reading