Joshee Kun (조수아)'s Reviews > Fireblood

Fireblood by Elly Blake

bookshelves: fantasy, physical-arc, physically-owned

Fear of my fire had ruled me when I'd had no control over it. Darkness, like fire, was a gift I could master. —Ruby

When I read Frostblood last November, I didn't enjoy it that much. I only gave it three stars mainly because it didn't bring something new to the table. Still, the ending was such a cliffhanger that I became invested enough to continue the series. With that in mind, I am happy to say that my optimism paid off; Fireblood is one of the best sequels I've ever read.

Looking at the preemptive "reviews" of this book, it's clear that many readers are worried about the state of Ruby and Arcus's relationship. After all, the summary insinuates that a new boy named Kai will come in between our two lovebirds. Hahaha. I myself was so excited to read this book because I shipped Ruby and Arcus so hard. I don't want to spoil anyone, so all I can say is that by the end of the book, Ruby is...not confused. :)

Although romance is a significant aspect of Fireblood, it is predominantly about Ruby finding a way to destroy the Minax, which has been wrecking havoc in Tempesia. Surprisingly, the answer to her prayers can be found in Sudesia, her mother's homeland. Essentially, the plot of this sequel is undeniably rich and fast-paced, and it will most likely make you fly through the pages.

For me, reading this book was like eating a stack of Pringles. I couldn't get enough of it because my interest in the protagonists never wavered. I loved Ruby's inspiring fortitude, Arcus's charming "coldness," and even Kai's flirtatious audacity. The interactions between these characters were evocative and well-written. I was also very entertained by the expansion of the world's mythology, which we didn't get in the first book.

I obviously enjoyed this book a lot, but I couldn't give it five stars because like its predecessor, it featured a number of YA fantasy tropes that made me feel a little jaded. To give you some hints, one trope has something to do with a certain character's true identity. The other one has something to do with matrimony. :3

Nevertheless, Fireblood is leagues away from Frostblood. If you also disliked the latter, I encourage you to give the series a second chance. I certainly don't regret my decision, so I hope that you will feel the same way. I can't wait to read the third (and possibly last) book, Nightblood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fireblood.

May 9, 2017 – Shelved
May 9, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
May 9, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
May 9, 2017 – Shelved as: physical-arc
May 9, 2017 – Shelved as: physically-owned
June 21, 2017 – Started Reading
June 21, 2017 –
page 65
15.63% "Ruby: They're all waiting for me to melt something.

Arcus: Ah, but, Lady Ruby, you already have. You've melted my icy heart.

Hahaha I'm swooning and rolling my eyes at the same time."
June 22, 2017 –
page 95
22.84% "Ruby: If—when I come back, will there be any place for me? With you?

Arcus: Always

Does love really entail letting go? Hahaha. I guess it depends. :p"
June 26, 2017 –
page 148
35.58% "My loyalty lies with you, Your Majesty. I hate the Frost Court and everyone in it."
June 27, 2017 –
page 163
39.18% "I don't trust you when you smirk at me like that. —Ruby

If ever a love triangle forms, I'll still be a member of Team Arcus. :D Still, Kai is likable in his own way. :)"
June 28, 2017 –
page 205
49.28% "This book is honestly way better than Frostblood. :)"
July 2, 2017 – Finished Reading