Jessica's Reviews > The Subtle Knife

The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman

Aug 17, 2011

bookshelves: literary, children-s, fantasy
Read from October 18 to 21, 2011

The Subtle Knife continues the story of Lyra Belacqua from the Golden Compass. However, it opens with the introduction of Will Parry, a boy about Lyra's age from our own world. He's been forced to care for his mother for years as her mental health disintegrates. When strange men start asking questions about his missing father, Will runs, and discovers the entrance to another world, the same world that Lyra has entered. They meet and join forces when they realize their fates are intertwined.

The Subtle Knife is more of a crossover fantasy than the Golden Compass, because a large portion of it takes place in our world. However, it still has the same sense of wonder and magic. Readers are introduced to angels and specters, and Lord Asriel and Mrs. Coulter are still around, doing their darndest to achieve their own personal goals.

In this book, Pullman peels another layer off the barrier between readers and his personal point of view on organized religion. His opinion is much more obvious in this book, but he renders it so tenderly that I don't mind (it doesn't hurt that I share his opinion, either).

I recommend this book to all-ages readers of children's lit. I consider the whole series a family classic.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog StarLit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Subtle Knife.