Amanda Harrison's Reviews > The Land I Lost: Adventures of a Boy in Vietnam

The Land I Lost by Huynh Quang Nhuong

F 50x66

liked it
bookshelves: autobiography, vietnam, older-elementary

Winner of a number of awards including the William Allen White, the Library of Congress Children’s book award, and the ALA Notable Children’s Book Award, The Land I Lost offers a portrait of Vietnam before the Vietnam War. While clearly an award winner from the 1980’s the book has less appeal with both a dated appearance and stories that hearken back to a more violent kid’s culture.
Nhuong’s stories about Vietnam are told in 15 short chapters that tie together briefly, but don’t come together in a notable conclusion. Ultimately, the theme that ties this book together is one of death and loss, as almost every chapter includes the death of adult, child, or animal.
While many children’s stories romanticize the past, this one offers a honest, if somewhat depressing view the Vietnam era. The ending of the book, at the beginning of the Vietnam War is aptly named, Sorrow. Front matter of the book tells the story of how Nhuong always wished to return home. This book is titled accurately, The Land I Lost.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Land I Lost.

May 8, 2017 – Started Reading