Lauren's Reviews > Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

bookshelves: clean-young-adult, paranormal, love-triangle

I started reading Unearthly because several reviewers commented that it is different from a lot of YA paranormal romance novels (i.e. doesn't follow the same structure as Twilight). And…they were right! I was pleasantly surprised when I finished the book. The author takes the same themes - supernatural beings, love triangles, high school etc. - and creates something new and interesting out of them. Clara already knows she's part angel when the book begins, saving the reader chapters of waiting for her to figure it all out. Angel-bloods are faster, stronger and generally smarter than humans, plus they all have a purpose that they must fulfill on earth. Clara learns about her purpose in pieces from visions that she receives, which take her across the country. There she meets Christian, the object of her visions. There she also meets Tucker, who isn’t part of “the plan,” but whom also appeals to her. Can you smell the love triangle?! The story did start a bit slowly, but picked up once Clara finally got to her destination.

I’m also super excited to read book #2 in the series - Hallowed , though I generally dread the second book in a trilogy. Usually, when I start a YA series, I can figure out immediately who the main character is supposed to be with, and the rest of the books are all about the pain it takes to get there. But at this point, I have no idea who is right for Clara. Not knowing actually makes me really excited to read the next one. I like that the conclusion doesn't feel inevitable yet.

Tucker vs. Christian
(view spoiler)

The Purpose
(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.

Started Reading
August 17, 2011 – Shelved
August 17, 2011 – Finished Reading
October 31, 2011 – Shelved as: clean-young-adult
October 31, 2011 – Shelved as: paranormal
April 24, 2013 – Shelved as: love-triangle

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Zuleeza YESSSSS!!! Finally you have read Unearthly! :D And you liked it too. Double win.

You will see more of Christian in the next book, I promise. :)

Lauren I LIKE THE ENTHUSIASM!! I actually have read both of these books - as well as the novella Radiant. And I LOVE this series. I want everyone to read it!

Zuleeza Lauren wrote: "I LIKE THE ENTHUSIASM!! I actually have read both of these books - as well as the novella Radiant. And I LOVE this series. I want everyone to read it!"

LOL! I didn't see the date you read it. I just thought 'cause it just popped up in my newsfeed, means she just read it!' :P

Lauren I realized that I needed to SPOILER tab a lot of this review, so I hid it all.

April Ok, should I read your Tucker vs. Christian portion of your review??? Are we perhaps on OPPOSITE sides, gasp???!!!!

Lauren April wrote: "Ok, should I read your Tucker vs. Christian portion of your review??? Are we perhaps on OPPOSITE sides, gasp???!!!!"

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Did you finish the book? I will say that my feelings weren't completely set in stone at this point in the story. You should totally read it. I'm very curious about your opinion, though I suspect our views on the series may not completely line up about everything.

April Oh my goodness, If I get to the end of this series and she's not with TUcker, I hold YOU responsible for my unhappiness!!!! Now I am so nervous about the book signing, etc. I don't want anyone to give things away!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lauren April wrote: "Oh my goodness, If I get to the end of this series and she's not with TUcker, I hold YOU responsible for my unhappiness!!!! Now I am so nervous about the book signing, etc. I don't want anyone to g..."

I'm sure they will all be careful about what they give away!

April They BETTER be! I am worried about other readers and their questions...........

Lauren April wrote: "They BETTER be! I am worried about other readers and their questions..........."

Well I plan on asking her something specific, but not during the group time. And I will warn you. Hopefully they will say something. Not a lot people have read all these books yet. People are usually pretty good about being respectful. Nothing has been spoiled at any of the other openings I attended.

April Good. Cause I have been coping with my fair share of spoilers where Downton is concerned!!!