Megan Worley's Reviews > Lola

Lola by Melissa Scrivner Love

May 20, 2017

liked it

While this wasn’t the type of book I would normally read, I appreciated the fierce and powerful main character who has to fight for every crumb of respect and deserves all of it. The book is gritty and has a lot of unsavory details that bring to life what it’s like to live among drugs and gangs. Lola has a strong moral compass, though its skewed by how she grew up, and a willingness to do whatever it takes to care for the ones she loves.
The story follows her while she fights to stay alive after making enemies of the leaders of rival drug cartels. While I enjoyed the majority of the book the plot felt a little scattered to me and I wished that the book could have been a little more focused. The story jumped around a bit too much, from crooked cops, to addicts in recovery, to dealing with other cartel leaders. Hopefully if Lola’s story continues in future books the story will be a bit more focused. The other thing that dropped my rating was that there were several parts of the story that were completely unbelievable. Details should be researched a little more carefully in future books.
Thank you Blogging for Books for providing me with a copy for review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lola.

May 8, 2017 – Started Reading