Bernie's Reviews > The Purity of Vengeance

The Purity of Vengeance by Jussi Adler-Olsen

Jun 25, 2017

bookshelves: scandinavian-crime-fiction

Purity of Vengeance is the fourth in Juri Adler-Olsen's Department Q series. Like its predecessors darkness abounds . As with other novels the plot is twisted and rests in the deep past. This time touching on the rise of minor parties with extreme views and steeped in eugenics. I have come to quite enjoy this series and am pleased that there are more to come. I have already started the next in the series.
Carl Mörck and his motley crew are in the thick of it again. Carl fighting accusations from his past fending off his ex-wife and the confused state of is his domestic arrangements. Then there is Assad his mysterious assistant who despite no apparent police training has skills and connections. However he does dodge anything to do with his personal life. Last but not least there is the bombastic Rose who rounds out the team. Her personality is always a test for Carl.
The Purity of Vengeance really does draw on the cruelty of the past. A time when the state was only too happy for troubled young women to be dealt with behind the walls of institutions or as in this case the walls are a stretch of water. I would Imagine that most "western" countries did similar things to those of low intelligence , mentally ill or behaviorally disturbed. The vulnerability of these young women is very well portrayed in Purity of Vengeance.
The unravelling of one woman's life is amazing and a fantastic read five stars from me. I can't give the plot away you'll just have to read it yourself. There are films based on these novels but I have held off watching them until I'm way ahead with the novels.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Purity of Vengeance.

May 8, 2017 – Started Reading