Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell's Reviews > Burn for Me

Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews

2190064

bookshelves: pnr-uf, romance, hero-hall-of-fame, 2017-romance-reading-challenge, best-romance
Recommended to Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ by: Helen 2.0

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I read this book for the Unapologetic Romance Readers' New Years 2017 Reading Challenge. For more info about what this is, click here.

I'm not very good at fangirling, but some books make me want to try. BURN FOR ME makes me want to try. It was so good. The heroine, the villainous antihero, the magic system, the world-building...it was all so, so good. Reading this transported me to childhood again, when I could completely immerse myself in fantasy stories and they all felt real -

Except no childhood fantasy story ever had Mad Rogan in it.

(Phwooooar!)

BURN FOR ME is the first in the Hidden Legacy series, which takes place in an alternate universe where a magic serum has given various human beings X-Men-like abilities. Some control the elements, some control minds. Nevada Baylor, a private investigator, has the ability to discern truth. And right now, she's hunting down a powerful pyrokinetic named Adam Pierce who seems to want to set the whole city of Houston up in flames.

Mad Rogan is a powerful tactile who can level large buildings with the same ease that he can peel splinters of a chopstick, layer by layer. (And that's not the only thing he'd like to peel layer by layer *cough*) He's after Adam, too, although when he meets Nevada, he decides that he might just be after her, as well. You know, while he's at it.

The result is a tug-of-war between the various powerful mages, called Primes, with poor Nevada bouncing around between them like a ping-pong ball, as she dodges gunfire, actual fire, mutant turf wars, and the sexual advances of a very attractive, possibly sociopathic telekinetic, all the while trying to prevent the destruction of the entire world.

One of my friends recommended this book when she found out that I love villainous heroes, and Mad Rogan definitely fit the bill in that regard. Goddamn, that man is the type of bad that inspires X-rated fanfiction. He had some amazing lines, and some super steamy scenes with Nevada. Did I maybe skim ahead a bit, looking for said scenes? No, no of course not. That would be sacrilege. (Maybe.) It's so hard to find urban fantasy novels with romance that don't put the world-building in the backseat. In BURN FOR ME, it's front and center, and instead of detracting from the romantic elements, it makes them that much more stronger and compelling.

I want to say more about this book, but to be honest, I wouldn't know where to begin. I could tell you that the secondary characters are just as colorful as the ones in a Stephanie Plum novel, and I could tell you that reading this book gave me those same "this is good fantasy" vibes as I got from His Dark Materials and Harry Potter. I could tell you that Mad Rogan has a place in my exclusive heroes hall of fame, and I could tell you that I am insanely jealous of my friends who seem to have acquired ARCs for not just book 2 (which isn't out yet) but also book 3 (which also isn't out yet). I could tell you all these things, but you should probably just read the book for yourself.

Also, for all you people saying Mad Rogan is yours? Back off, he's mine. I WILL FIGHT YOU.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burn for Me.

May 7, 2017 – Started Reading
May 7, 2017 – Shelved
May 7, 2017 – Shelved as: pnr-uf
May 7, 2017 – Shelved as: romance
May 7, 2017 –
2.0% "Oooh, I'm sensing a definite Jericho Barrons vibe."
May 9, 2017 –
11.0% "I'm digging the superpowers. This kind of reminds me of Jennifer Estep's Big Time series, worldbuilding-wise."
May 9, 2017 –
18.0% "When you're reading a romance novel and it's taking AGES to get to the hero and you're impatient af because you've heard that he's fiiiiine."
May 11, 2017 –
29.0% "I love the dialogue in this. It's so intelligent."
May 11, 2017 –
53.0% ""
May 13, 2017 –
100.0% "*shrieks*"
May 13, 2017 – Shelved as: hero-hall-of-fame
May 13, 2017 – Finished Reading
May 15, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-romance-reading-challenge
May 22, 2018 – Shelved as: best-romance

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)

☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness yay glad you loved it, Nenia ! :))

Helen 2.0 Love this one too! I'm so jealous of the people with ARCs too... their Hidden Legacy reviews keep showing up on my feed and it makes me want to cry.

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell Helen 2.0 wrote: "Love this one too! I'm so jealous of the people with ARCs too... their Hidden Legacy reviews keep showing up on my feed and it makes me want to cry."

Sameee. Thank you so much for recommending this book to me, though! I loved it so much! Do you know of any other heroes like this? (Apart from the OG Jericho Barrons, ofc. ;D)

message 5: by RedL. (new) - added it

RedL. Ooohhhh yeessssss!!!! I am gonna love this!!!!

Bobbi Jo Where do I sign up? Ilona Andrews should pay you for this review.

Bobbi Jo ... suddenly, I know what I'm doing all day...

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell Bobbi wrote: "Where do I sign up? Ilona Andrews should pay you for this review."

Heh, I would happily accept payment in the form of the two sequels.

(Are you reading this, Ms. Andrews? I NEED THOSE SEQUELS.)

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell Bobbi wrote: "... suddenly, I know what I'm doing all day..."

I hope you enjoy it! Let me know when you post your review!

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell RedL. wrote: "Ooohhhh yeessssss!!!! I am gonna love this!!!!"

GURLLLLL YAS. <3

Heather I've been avoiding this because a) popular and b) urban fantasy. But I might have to give it a try after all!

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell Heather *live on coffee & flowers* wrote: "I've been avoiding this because a) popular and b) urban fantasy. But I might have to give it a try after all!"

It's so good. The hero is super hot.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* Yes!!!! Another person converted!!! Isn't Mad Rogan the dreamiest??

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Yes!!!! Another person converted!!! Isn't Mad Rogan the dreamiest??"

Haha indeed he is. I cannot wait to get my hands on the sequels.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* Me neither. It's been a torturous wait.

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Me neither. It's been a torturous wait."

Just one more week, right? ;)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* Nenia *the flagrant liberal* wrote: "Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Me neither. It's been a torturous wait."

Just one more week, right? ;)"

I'm counting the minutes until. Thought it was the 29th? It keeps changing on me.

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell UGH, well whenever it is, it's too long!

Bobbi Jo Thought it was the 29th?

5/30 according to Amazon. ... -_-

message 20: by James (new)

James waste of paper called a book

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell James wrote: "waste of paper called a book"

This one's actually pretty good! I'm pretty picky about PNRs and Urban Fantasy but the romance mostly takes a backseat to the world building in this case. It's like a slightly more romantic version of Brandon Sanderson's STEELHEART.

message 22: by RedL. (new) - added it

RedL. I can't freaking wait for the next installment to appear in my Kindle!!!😱😱😱

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* James wrote: "waste of paper called a book"

It's good, James!! :D

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell RedL. wrote: "I can't freaking wait for the next installment to appear in my Kindle!!!😱😱😱"

Saaaaaaaame~

Casey YEAH!!!!

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell Casey ~Kaleidoscopic Killer of the Deep~ wrote: "YEAH!!!!
I am so very glad this worked for you. Mad Rogan is in a class all of his own, but you nailed it with the world really being the star in this book. The characters seem to be an awesome bonus."

I wanted to put you down as a recommender too, but it only let me put one. ;(

Thank you so much for endorsing this! I loved it. I can't wait for the next book. Now I just have to find ANOTHER well written book with a slightly sadistic antihero as the love interest. <3

Bobbi Jo James wrote: "waste of paper called a book"

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell Bobbi wrote: "James wrote: "waste of paper called a book"

Mine's on Kindle, so no waste even if you don't like it :) But seriously, the "romance" is relatively light in this one."

Thank god for Kindle, right? I have so many books lying around the house. I am trying to buy more digital copies unless the book either is a favorite or out of print.

Bobbi Jo Nenia *the flagrant liberal* wrote: "I am trying to buy more digital copies unless the book either is a favorite or out of print."

It's easier when there are no bookstores within 50 miles.

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell Bobbi wrote: "Nenia *the flagrant liberal* wrote: "I am trying to buy more digital copies unless the book either is a favorite or out of print."

It's easier when there are no bookstores within 50 miles."

Unfortunately, that is not the case in SF. :P

Casey Nenia *the flagrant liberal* wrote: "Casey ~Kaleidoscopic Killer of the Deep~ wrote: "YEAH!!!!

If you find one, let me know. Turns out this is totally my jam.

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell Casey ~Kaleidoscopic Killer of the Deep~ wrote: "Nenia *the flagrant liberal* wrote: "Casey ~Kaleidoscopic Killer of the Deep~ wrote: "YEAH!!!!

Only ones I can think of are Ruthless by Anne Stuart, Duke of Sin by Elizabeth Hoyt, and the Fever series ofc

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* *sighs* The second book coming out May 30th doesn't make as much sense for me. The 30th is on a Tuesday, the day after Memorial Day. We get a three-day weekend which would be perfect for reading, but then the book is released after I have to go back to work.

I'm also just moody as hell today

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "*sighs* The second book coming out May 30th doesn't make as much sense for me. The 30th is on a Tuesday, the day after Memorial Day. We get a three-day weekend which would be perfect for reading, b..."

Aww yeah that does suck. Maybe they had other releases schefuled for that time. I am sure holiday weekends are popular...

Casey Nenia *the flagrant liberal* wrote: "Casey ~Kaleidoscopic Killer of the Deep~ wrote: "Nenia *the flagrant liberal* wrote: "Casey ~Kaleidoscopic Killer of the Deep~ wrote: "YEAH!!!!
I am so very glad this worked for you. Mad Rogan is i..."

Immediately looks up both....
I already have both of these on my TBR from a previous rec from you. Now I just need enough time in my life to actually read them LOL!