S. Taylor's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

bookshelves: fantasy-horror, reviewposted

This one starts out slow, but picks up tremendously around page 80, again at page 200, and is addictive and impossible to put down by page 300.

I'm not sure what makes this novel so strong -- the writing is strong, the story (as the back cover says) is one you've read before, but I think it's really the character of Kvothe that does it. In real life, you might hate this guy out of pure jealousy -- he's incredibly talented, gets a lot of lucky breaks, and gets by often on charm and chutzpah alone. But he suffers too, and oh how he suffers so nobly.

A very impressive book, but sometimes I feel that Kvothe is simply TOO perfect. Things always, eventually, turn out his way. There's nothing wrong with this, it just makes this fantasy book a little more escapist than many -- and, really, since we're a lot of us reading for escape, this book is just giving us what we want. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.

August 17, 2011 – Shelved
August 17, 2011 – Shelved as: fantasy-horror
Started Reading
December 9, 2011 – Finished Reading
January 5, 2012 – Shelved as: reviewposted

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I found the reread over on Tor.com to be extremely enlightening. Patrick Rothfuss manages to use so much in the way of linguistic themes that there are many undercurrents throughout the book. And names mean SO much in this series that it amazes me how much I completely missed because I was just so engrossed in the story. :)