Mihir's Reviews > Sufficiently Advanced Magic

Sufficiently Advanced Magic by Andrew Rowe

liked it
bookshelves: spfbo-3-2017-finalists

Overall rating = 3 & half stars

OVERVIEW/ANALYSIS: Sufficiently Advanced Magic by Andrew Rowe takes its title from one of Arthur C. Clarke’s most intriguing quotes. The book was one of my first LitRPG experiences and it was certainly one that I enjoyed.

The story begins with Corin Cadence, out narrator and scholarly hero who wants to find out his elder brother’s fate. Hinging upon his wits and learned abilities, Corin attempts to reach the top of the Serpent Spire in hopes of finding out his brother’s fate and perhaps gaining the Goddess’ favor at the same time. Whilst training at the academy, he encounters others students who have bigger secrets than him and learns that there are bigger things afoot.

This book was a charming mix of Harry Potter-ish settings along with a solid dose of RPG tropes. Corin as a POV character is good mix of Harry and Hermione in the sense that he’s plucky like Harry and brainy like Hermione. The world is slowly unveiled and for those who like to really focus on the in-between happenings, they will be able to pick up more. The book is also action packed and has a good number of plot twists (with the ending one being the most surprising and the best of them all IMHO). The only reason for me for not being able to enjoy the book entirely was its pace which was sluggish in the middle third of the book. The book really slows down and I struggled through those sections.

I’m not a gamer and never played an RPG games ever, so for me this new subgenre of LitRPG fantasy is incredibly different. While it might be easier for gamers and RPGers to know the structure of the story, for me it was entirely brand new. Perhaps that caused me to enjoy it differently than the others. Since this book, I’ve read a few other books of a similar type and I think I’m beginning to enjoy these elements as well. Sufficiently Advanced Magic scored a solid 7 and I hope the author better himself in the sequel which I look forward to diligently.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sufficiently Advanced Magic.

Finished Reading