Mel's Reviews > Escape from Asylum

Escape from Asylum by Madeleine Roux

bookshelves: 4-stars, library, read-in-2017

So I don't tend to read prequels often. Prequels and novellas are those things that I don't feel like they add anything to the story for the most part. But I really love the Asylum trilogy and I think about it all the time so when I saw this at the library I instantly brought it home and started it immediately.

I'm really glad I read this. It doesn't give too much background for the Asylum trilogy, but it does still have an interesting story, and it was interesting to see where the characters in the trilogy had their beginning. Do I think that this is necessary to the trilogy? No. But I still recommend it.

I really loved the plot and characters in this one. I think Ricky is preferable to me than the main character in the trilogy. I liked him much better and felt he was a little more flawed but also stronger. I also loved the diversity in this. Having a gay main character and a trans character was a really nice addition to the story, especially since the story wasn't about that, but it also fit in really well with how the characters ended up where they went. (view spoiler)

My one issue came from the end. I felt it was very anticlimactic what happened and there was a lot of build up for a bit of a rushed and pretty boring conclusion. But I did love the scene with a father and son that clearly kicks off the trilogy and where the trilogy went so I did appreciate that.

Overall, really good addition to the series and I definitely recommend not only this, but the trilogy itself. Side note: read this after the trilogy, not before. This book will be kind of boring if you don't understand the significance of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Escape from Asylum.

May 7, 2017 – Started Reading
May 7, 2017 – Shelved
May 19, 2017 –
page 75
21.87% "I enjoy these novels so much. Just the tone and overall story is great. One of the only series that I'd read a prequel of, and novellas."
May 27, 2017 –
page 250
May 27, 2017 – Shelved as: 4-stars
May 27, 2017 – Shelved as: library
May 27, 2017 – Shelved as: read-in-2017
May 27, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

christina nicpon I agreed with you on the ending, feel like a bit mote could have been done with that, but over all a great book!!

Jake Miller Ricky’s not really gay, though. He’s actually bisexual. He told Kay that he likes other boys, but also girls.

Even at the end somewhere it mentions him kissing guys and gals.

Anyway, yeah. It’s a great book. Great story, characters, atmosphere.

I can relate to characters like Ricky, when it comes to songs.

I like Dan too. Never read the first three books yet. So I can’t wait to read them anyway. I only know a little bit of him.
I see that he’s shy. I can relate to that. I’m shy in general around people.