Tanja's Reviews > Death at La Fenice: A Novel of Suspense

Death at La Fenice by Donna Leon

Apr 11, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: mystery
Recommended for: lovers of Italian culture and those with an affinity for murder

I am an avid reader of mystery novels, have been ever since I was introduced to Agatha Christie and Gladys Mitchell at a young age. I usually show a distinct bias for British country house murder mysteries with a literary flair (Wilkie Collins 'The Moonstone' is a particular favorite). I came across Donna Leon's book at my in-laws house and decided to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised. The setting was interesting, as was the case, and the reveal at the end was not broadcast in the first few pages (not that it might matter very much in my case, I find that upon rereading any of Christie's novels, it takes a few chapters for me to remember the case and culprit at hand, then again, I don't read Christie's novels for the surprise, they are more like comfort food, old friends that I bring out ever so often to spend a cozy, happy hour or two). Overall I thought that Leon succeeded in creating an atmospheric, well-crafted novel and an interesting 'hero' in Guido Brunetti that I would not mind reading more about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death at La Fenice.