Nathan's Reviews > The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

M 50x66
Apr 11, 2008

it was ok
Read in January, 2006

I read this book mostly because I had heard that Chabon has mad writing skillz (when someone has skills with a "z" it's pretty impressive). Chabon certainly has a way with words. This book only earned two stars from me for two reasons. The first being that the book was altogether too long. I felt several parts could have been stricken from the book and the story would not have suffered for it.

The second, and more controversial reason, is that I did not care for the graphic, in my opinion anyway, descriptions of homosexual sex. Bear in mind that I'm not homophobic, I didn't care for the description of heterosexual sex either. Call me a prude, but I'm not fond of that sort of stuff in books. Mostly because you can't really see it coming just from looking at the book (the trashy romance genre excepted). If people are allowed to leave comments, just know now that I will disregard any arguments about violence. Violence and sexual content are separate issues to me and I don't understand why they're always lumped into the same argument about movie and book content.

Soapbox aside, I thought the Escapist was a great idea for a super hero and enjoyed the book for the most part.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay.

message 1: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim The gay sex in the book is about as far from graphic as it could possibly be. It's mentioned but not described. There's only one sentence that I can imagine anyone being remotely offended by. This seems like a stupid, immature thing to focus on considering the length of the book.

Emily I'm sorry, but I'm really not certain what graphic description of gay sex you're thinking of. I wasn't actually certain that there had been any (aside from the barely-at-all-alluded-to rape) until it was referred to as sex afterwards. I do agree about the straight sex. It isn't particularly graphic, but it takes up a lot of space without any particular excuse for being there either.