Kristen Heimerl's Reviews > Hit Makers: The Science of Popularity in an Age of Distraction

Hit Makers by Derek   Thompson

bookshelves: business, psychology, social-science, entertainment-and-media

As a lifelong student of consumer and human behavior, I wasn't sure I'd get much out of this book. But because some of my favorite thinking minds raved about it, I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did.

Hit Makers is a hit. It reinforced what I know and opened my eyes and mind to what I didn't know about how products, services, and ideas "get big" and all-pervasive.

There's so much to love about this book: the insights, the research, and the wisdom and humility of the author, Derek Thompson. But what I loved most was the author's deep respect for the often disrespected: creativity, creatives, and creators. He writes (after describing the act of predicting the unpredictable):

"If this makes the business of hits seem hopeless, then good. Making complex products for people who don't know what they want—and who aggressively cluster around bizarrely popular products if a couple of their friends do the same—is unbelievably difficult work. It's important to appreciate the stress inherent to being a creator, an entrepreneur, a music label, a movie studio, a media company. People are mysterious and markets are chaos. Is it any surprise that most creativity is failure?"

This is an exceptional book for anyone who seeks to create a market hit. It's also an affirming celebration for anyone who ever had the courage to try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hit Makers.

May 1, 2017 – Started Reading