Reena Jacobs's Reviews > Pretties

Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

Aug 16, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011-reads, reviewed

Read my complete review October 29, 2011 at Ramblings of an Amateur Writer: http://wp.me/pPz8s-1Rw

First things first: I liked Pretties more or less the same amount as I liked Uglies. There were plenty of annoying aspects about Pretties, but the story was unique. In fact, I have to admit, the trilogy is really starting to grow on me.

Let’s start with what I disliked the most about Pretties so we can move on to the good stuff. The lingo. The lingo sucked big time. It reminded me of Neal Bortz when he tries to sound like a valley girl with all the “like this” and “like that” “like” “like.” Okay… we get it. It’s obnoxious. Now can we get OVER it?

Same thing with Pretties. Everything was bogus or bubbly or whatever-making, and totally overboard. I don’t know if the overuse of the special lingo was purposeful, but the excessiveness of it made it seem like an adult trying to fit in the young crowd but failing miserably.

What I enjoyed? I loved that despite being transformed into a Pretty, Tally was still the same person inside — pretty but still full of insecurities. Instead of the focus being on her outward appearance and being adored, the focus shifted to fitting in. Just like when she was ugly, she still had doubts about being good enough.

In a way, it was sad. We had a society which perfected individuals physically… in essence, giving them all they dreamed of having. To help the pretties along, they turned them into the addle-brained, content with having fun. They created an utopian environment, at least it appeared that way to an ugly looking in. Well, even Pretties believed they were living the ultimate life despite their continual strive to be cool. In reality, they had a broken society full of daft people who never had an opportunity to be comfortable with who they were.

Though I consider the books middle of the road reads thus far, I still think the trilogy is worthy of attention. Well, I’m working on the last book of the trilogy. It’ll be interesting to see how everything resolved itself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretties.

August 16, 2011 – Shelved
October 16, 2011 – Started Reading
October 16, 2011 –
page 1
0.27% "I'm a bit apprehensive about this one after reading Uglies, but still hopeful."
October 18, 2011 –
page 46
12.43% "The story line is interesting, but the lingo is totally bogus-making and make me feel a lot less bubbly. Truthfully, it sounds like an adult trying to fit in with the younger crowd but failing miserably. Totally shaming."
October 18, 2011 –
page 220
59.46% "Looks like we're about to venture into the unknown. :) If only I weren't so exhausted. Cause this book is totally curious-making."
October 20, 2011 – Finished Reading