Rachel Gilbey's Reviews > Just for the Holidays

Just for the Holidays by Sue Moorcroft

Just For the Holidays really hits the spot, it has everything I love in a book, a gorgeous summery location, a family going through issues, a gorgeous guy, some amusing teenagers, and some brilliant professions. How much cooler can you get when you have a helicopter pilot and a chocolatier in the same book!

In fact the helicopter pilot is called Ronan, and with his son Curtis they are staying next door to the holiday home that Leah and her family are staying in this summer in Alsace, France.

Leah loves her own space but has been persuaded onto the trip to support her sister Michele, who is trying to separate from her husband. Let's just say that the plans for the holiday fall apart in quite spectacular fashion, leaving Leah to try her best for her niece and nephew.

I just loved the character of Leah, not only does she taste and test chocolate for a living, but she is also a speed demon, drives a Porsche and is a huge F1 fan. It's such a great combination of traits, especially given she is single and when in charge of teenagers, she is terrified and I love the decisions she makes.

Some of my favourite moments in this book involved Leah, and chocolate. I'm a chocoholic, so it may not be surprising that I was salivating over a lot of the content - pain au chocolat being created from scratch, mug cakes, chocolate tastings, chocolate baskets and more. I just wish I had known in advance to have my own chocolate supplies on me. I had been reading on a train, and when I got to the bar I was aiming for, I just couldn't resist ordering a chocolate based cocktail, just to try and curb the cravings I was getting from this book.

In fairness it wasn't all chocolate, and the story takes in themes such as broken families and how it affects teenagers, Ronan's interesting work situation, and a young romance. I loved the days out in the surrounding area, and getting to know Leah's family. Natasha and Jordan are good teens just going through a tricky time with their family and hormones.

Just For the Holidays is aptly titled in time for the summer season. its a fabulous summery read, that I thoroughly enjoyed. I was completely absorbed in the story, and just found it so entertaining.

Thank you so much to Netgalley and Avon for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just for the Holidays.

May 6, 2017 – Started Reading