C.G. Drews's Reviews > More Than We Can Tell

More Than We Can Tell by Brigid Kemmerer

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2018, young-adult

Honestly I was so excited when I heard this book existed! The #1 thing I said when I finished Letters to the Lost was: "I want REV'S STORY." (Also I freaking love what is full name is and why he chose it.) And omg we got Rev's story. Afjdskald. Although it didn't quite live up to LtTL for me, I still liked it a lot!!

I also confess I tried the audiobook...but it was full on ruining the book for me. I ended up ditching it and going to an ebook. But like the narrators' voices were so abrasive and angry. Rev is the sweetest guy ever and I was like "Who is this angry snarly person???" But switching to the book SOLVED THAT. Holy heck. I loved the audio for LtTL. 😭This was a bit devastating for me that at least the first 150 pages were terrible.

(That's NOT on the book! It's on my reaction = to the audio.)

I just love love love Rev so much ok?! I love how vulnerable and anxious he is in this book. His abusive father is trying to get in contact with him and he hasn't seen this abuser in 10 years. So it's HUGELY stressful and Rev's ashamed of how scared he is. AKA, he hides it. I hate that he did this, especially with how Declan let Rev in on all his issues! And Rev is cutting him out?! But at the same time, I tried to get into Rev's head and understand. He has such bad PTSD and always covers his scars and afjkdsla he was so fragile even though he was a badass martial artist and everything. I loved reading about an emotional boy. He does a lot of growth in this book too and just...remembering that he's loved. Gaining control over himself again. Letting people in and not being ashamed.

I LOVE REV SO MUCH.

Emma on the other hand, I admit I struggled with. I'm trying to pull myself up on labelling girls "unlikeable" especially when I LOVE Declan and he's heckin' unlikeable in his book. But Emma was cruel. She had a lot of girl-on-girl snark/hate to her BFF (who literally does nothing but support her) which felt ridiculous? And Emma just sniped at her for NO REASON. But like at the same time I get it??? She was being harassed online (that's frikkin scary ok) and her parents paid 0% attention to her and were totally uprooting her life...and agh. I just...I felt for her. I don't think girls need to be "nice" all the time. But I don't think ANYONE gets to be cruel. Also her storyline felt unbalanced with much lower stakes compared to Rev's.

☆ I FREAKING LOVE DECLAN HERE. You don't need to have read Letters to the Lost to appreciate this but AHHHH DEC!!!! He is just as abrasive and loving as always. He's such an angry cinnamon son I love him.

Also Rev gets a new foster brother, Matthew, and I WANT MATTHEW'S BOOK NOW. (Ok so I cried for Rev's book and we got one?!? Pls pls, Brigid Kemmerer??) 😂💛 He's so tragic and his past was heartbreaking and I don't think we really got to explore it enough! (I actually think he needed more closure tbh. But I'll sit here and root for his book so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

The story is VERY high key and emotional too. The ending stressed me tf out. I can't even. Just like smash my heart everywhere omg. Who needs to go for a run? Just read this and have your heart pumping oUT OF YOUR CHEST. *is exhausted*

Although I lowkey wish there'd been some balance with the inclusion of online friends of good vs bad. Because (view spoiler)

ANYWAY HI. I'M STRESSED AND HAVE A LOT OF EMOTIONS. This didn't tear me up like LtTL because I felt the stakes were lower. I just wanted Rev's story line and more of Matthew and JFAKDLS I LOVE DECLAN. But it's still so emotional and talks a lot about having control of your life, of needing people to tell you again and again (and again if you need it) that you are wanted and loved. 💛💛

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read More Than We Can Tell.

May 6, 2017 – Shelved
May 6, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 31, 2018 – Started Reading
July 31, 2018 –
page 30
7.32% "I AM SO EXCITED FOR REV'S STORY I CAN'T EVEN. The very very first thing I said when I finished Letters To the Lost went it was released (and this book wasn't announced yet) was: I WANT REV'S STORY.

so happy rn 😭💛💛"
August 1, 2018 –
page 150
36.59% "The audiobook is really ruining this for me. 😳😥The audio for Letters To The Lost was AMAZING and I loved the narrators...but here (they're different voices) they've made Rev sound so harsh and angry. Even when it's just the prose? Like he's really stressed/panicking, but he sounds snarly and THIS ISN'T MY SOFT CINNAMON REV. 😭😭Should I swap to an ebook???"
August 1, 2018 –
74.0% "Ok switched to the eBook!! And now I love Rev's chapters and not Emma's. I CAN'T WIN UGH LET ME LAY ON THE FLOOR AND SOB."
August 2, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
August 2, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
August 2, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

Mandy Webb Kgkdkd I just finished a reread of this and you hit all my feels on the head too. I didn't cry like i cried for juliet and declan, but I got hit with waves of anxious momma bear feels where I wanted to scoop up all the characters and keep them safe.

C.G. Drews YES EXACTLY! Like Declan and Juliet broke my HEART but for Rev and Emma I sorta wanted to protect them?? 😭❤️💔

message 3: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee Good news! Brigid is working on Matthew's book!

Mandy Webb OMG IS SHE??? I MADE INHUMAN SQUEALS

C.G. Drews HOLY WOW REALLY?! I AM SO FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

message 6: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee Yes! She told me on twitter when I asked. 😍

Jack Reynolds YAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C.G. Drews We have been blessed ajfdksalfd 😭💛💛💛

Oscarliu As this book is titled More Than we can Tell, (Letters to the lost 2) i expect we might see a new book :Letters to the lost 3! (at least, i hope. i really want Matthew's story also, but maybe with flashbacks to the past and more of Declan/Juliet and Rev/Emma? I mean we didn't have enough Declan/Juliet in *this* book. but I'll just hope.

Oscarliu wait rlly shes writing Matthew's book?!? wish i had read the other comments first before posting the above comment lol

فداء I hope that there will be another book(may be about Matthew)

فداء Oh,didn't read the comments up

فداء I AM REALLY HYPED

فداء

Oscarliu lol this commet section is about "i hope brigid writes Matthew's story" and then "oh i didnt look at the comments" :D

Oscarliu *comment*