Kitvaria Sarene's Reviews > Chaos Trims My Beard

Chaos Trims My Beard by Brett Herman

bookshelves: spfbo-2017, fantasy-all-subgenres, fantasy-selfpub-indie-smallpress

So, here it is - our winner of the fantasy faction batch of SPFBO 2017!

First off - no, the book isn't perfect. What book ever is? Worst part about this one for me were the typos. this really, really needs a copy edit, or at least a close proofread. But as that is something rather easily resolved compared to a weak plot or badly written characters/dialogue I didn't take it into acount on the rating much. I really hope this will get an updated version soon!

To the story itself:
I saw the cover and went "what the heck?" with a snort. And that is the whole book! You start it and youkinda shake your head and snort some more. I had so much fun reading this completely crazy story I can't even tell you.

The main character is a character, though his beard almost is a character of it's own. He gets hired by a ratman of all things, to help put an end to some recent murders and an assumed conspiracy. And those two just work so well for me! Very unlikely characters who just bounce banter off each other in a very amusing way. The plot itself is almost as ridulous - beardfire playing an important part for example... There's plenty of action, mysteries, friends and allies and it all plays out in a really cool setting. a magic city that is build on top of the normal city, full of all types of creatures, mages, flying vehicles, bridges between spellsteel skyscrapers and only god (or teh author) knows what else!

If you are looking for series fantasy - this is NOT at all the book for you. But if you are looking for some "What the hell?!?" moments, some giggles, snorts and an all around fun time - Chaos trims my beard definitely is worth a very close look! It definitely is unique in it's utter strangeness.

(And yes, I know how often I used the word snort - and it isn't even often enough. Even now weeks after finishing it, it still makes me snort just thining of it...)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chaos Trims My Beard.

May 6, 2017 – Shelved
December 14, 2017 – Finished Reading
December 30, 2017 – Shelved as: spfbo-2017
December 30, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy-all-subgenres
January 6, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy-selfpub-indie-smallpress

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Esmerelda Weatherwax i loved this book and this review!

message 2: by Mussa (new)

Mussa Abubakari i kept in the list of to red

Kitvaria Sarene It's so much fun isn't it Esmeralda?

I saw your review before I finished it, but purposefully didn't look at it then, as to not be swayed in my own opinion. Turns out I wouldn't have had to fear that as we agree anyway! ;)

Esmerelda Weatherwax It was a lot of fun. At first I rated it 4 stars because of the editing issues - but said fuckit and gave it 5 stars because the author is coming out with an edited version soon-ish and with those revisions it's a legit 5 star book. Glad you liked it! - you're reading a lot of SPFBO - you're not a judge are you? lol forgive my ignorance.

Kitvaria Sarene I'm reading for fantasy faction - just one of a 5 men/women team though ;)
And that is great news about the edited version!

Esmerelda Weatherwax Nice! That gets me even more excited. This is one of my favorite finalists - i love that a Fantasy Noir made it into the finals. Are you guys all reading all 10 finalists?

Kitvaria Sarene We all at least try all 10 (or rather 9 as we all read Beard already obviously... ;) ). No one is obligated to finish anything they do not like of course. I personally definitely plan on finishing them all.