Simon's Reviews > Notes on the Cinematograph

Notes on the Cinematograph by Robert Bresson

Bresson does Twitter.

No, that's a bit cruel. In an interesting way, we are confronted with fragments of ideas and thoughts that Bresson has on life and art. I didn't finish the book as fast I thought I would because some of his statements, and the way they are edited together, really did sink. I needed to take a breather, let them gestate in my head before I could move on.

There is a great irony that those storytellers of the 19th and 20th century who understood the importance of standing up to bourgeois storytelling fashions and forms, were all too often the very storytellers that your Joe Blogs simply didn't get or like.

And Bresson is all too often part of that group of storytellers - we have yet to find a way where these important and sometimes genuinely beautiful ideas that Bresson talks about in this book is put forward in a language that doesn't alienate from the very group of people it seeks to help. This book just highlighted a conviction I've had for a long time, if you want to deal with class, you first have to deal with language.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Notes on the Cinematograph.

May 6, 2017 – Started Reading