Sarah's Reviews > Glover's Mistake

Glover's Mistake by Nick Laird

Aug 16, 2011

Read from August 16 to September 01, 2011

I cannot believe I got as hooked to this disaster of a book as I did. By disaster, I mean the characters were all absolute wrecks, and then a reserved, love triangle, soap opera-type of story is added in. Almost pure trash, but I indulged myself on it.

So, David is a professor in his late-30's in love with Ruth, an artist in her late-40's who was his art professor; Ruth falls for David's roommate James Glover, an early-20's bartender. Glover falls in love with her. David has a jealous personality so he embarks on a campaign to do anything to break the two of them up. He lies to both of them, he writes trash about Ruth's work on his blog, he makes snide comments about them. He invites himself along with them, he spies on them in intimate situations, and attempts to embed himself with their friends, so as to recruit them to his cause. Most of the book is seen from David's point-of-view, with the exception of the last chapter, in which the reader is let inside Glover's head.

I found myself feeling sympathy for David, although I can't explain why. I think if I was let into Glover's mind sooner, I would've been more sympathetic towards him. It was hard to understand the relationship between Ruth and Glover because it was demeaned by David throughout the book. There have been many books written on the theme of jealousy, and this is yet another one. It is in a modern setting, with many more technological devices at hand to set traps for others: deleted texts, ascerbic blogs, etc. It was all a sick muddle with a surprising ending. Maybe persistence does pay...?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glover's Mistake.

08/27/2011 page 180
70.0% "Highly addictive tale of self-destruction."