Katie's Reviews > The Beautiful Dead

The Beautiful Dead by Belinda Bauer

U 50x66

Overview-
'He might kill her and she just might let him..."
Eve Singer's career is based on death, as a crime reporter she's always following the freshest body bag but her reporting attracts the attention of a 'super-fan' with macabre showcases he's dying for Singer to show the world.

Personal-
This was my first Belinda Bauer book and I wasn't particularly aware of her before this but I was pleasantly surprised by a strong multi-faceted main character and an unexpected take on the mystery genre and the switches in perspective kept my attention for the most part.

The Good-

-Gorgeously easy read that I completely flew through
-The events of the book felt grounded in reality whether it was unscrupulous journalism or a London underground platform it all felt like it could really be happening
- The deaths were so shocking and tense
-The addition of Singer's dad and his struggle with Alzheimer's was a really nice addition
-A really gripping look into the mind of a murderer all the way
-Some of the twists and turned had me gasping in shock

The Bad-
-The addition of Creed confused me a little bit (maybe I skipped over a little bit) but she felt like something that could have turned into something a bit different
-The ending switched around very quickly
-I would have loved to see more from the killer's point of view

And finally...
If you're looking for a traditional murder mystery then this might not be your sort of book I'd say a lot of the conflict is played out in between the 'exhibitions' as Eve grapples with her own ethics, family and work dynamics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beautiful Dead.

May 6, 2017 – Started Reading