Heather's Reviews > Immortal City

Immortal City by Scott Speer

Aug 16, 2011

Read in April, 2012

I have to say I was kicking myself for picking this one up. I am over angels. And for the first few chapters, I was still over angels, but then I flipped to the inside jacket of the book and read, "Set in a reimagined Los Angeles that sparkles with glamour and celebrity worship, Scott Speer's Immortal City is charged with passion and haunted by themes of power and idolatry." Then, I got it. All the expensive cars and hero worship and Rodeo drive and designer name dropping and the beautiful people. And all the worshiping of the Angels, the networks dedicated to it, the paparazzi, the nonstop talk among Maddy's friends at high school about Jackson Godspeed. What had seemed over the top became more meaningful when Jackson and Maddy's worlds collide. It is ridiculous, the worship of the Angels, but who wouldn't want a Guardian Angel? Who wouldn't want to go through life knowing that someone was there always to snatch them from the jaws of death? Of course only the very, very rich can afford a Guardian Angel and there are only so many to go around so the demand is high and their cost is even higher.

It seems a bit outrageous doesn't it? Angels taking money to protect people?? Yeah, well some people in Immortal City think so too. Maddy for one. Especially people who didn't have their families saved by Guardian Angels. Can you imagine if your mother was in a drunk driving accident and the drunk driver was saved by a Guardian Angel, but your mother died because she couldn't afford protection even though the Angel could have saved her. You see how some people might hold a grudge against the Guardian Angels.

The main characters are likable enough. Maddy was too insecure to believe Jacks, Jackson Godspeed's nickname, would have any real interest in her, and that got a little annoying. Jacks was a little too self absorbed to see what her problem was. Again, some of Speer's more subtle ways of pointing out what worship and idolatry does to both ends of the spectrum. But once the action starts, I really couldn't put the book down and forgot about Angels. This was less about Angels and more a mystery and Maddy and Jacks defying the odds and breaking the rules. I do love rule breakers and those Guardian Angels had some very strict rules. And the penalty for them was very high. That's all I'll say, but even if you're tired of Angels, and I was, give this one a try. It is not the same worn out story. It's got Guardian Angels as A-list celebrities and the only one that can rub elbows with them are the elite rich. And then the up and coming star falls for a nobody and a non-Angel and you've got a story with unbelievable twists and turns and I mean that literally and figuratively! It's a great start to a new series. I can't wait for the next novel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immortal City.