C.G. Drews's Reviews > An Enchantment of Ravens

An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret  Rogerson

bookshelves: 5-star, epic-fantasy, magical-fantasy, read-2018, young-adult

Where do I even begin to say how much I enjoyed this?!? It's an absolutely delightful fae wild adventure, complete with a good dose of SCHEMING which I admit I am such a fan of. The ending had my Slytherin soul all up and shouting in approval. Omg this was just so good. I laughed out loud. I fell in love with the gorgeous writing. I loooooved it.

+ So it was kind of a different "fae" world to what I'm used to.
This does the courts via all the seasons, and I still don't get why some faerie books do that vs some do the seelie vs unseelie courts?! Is it just an interpretation of lore or are they all completely different?? But anyway I LOVE IT. I loved the aesthetics of princes of different seasons.😍Isobel's world is caught up in an eternal summer (noiiiiice) and they end up in the Spring Courts which were (deceptively) gorgeous. And this gave us faeries that can't feel human emotions. They're so vapid and silly, nearly, but like deeply miserable and complex. I LOVED this version too!!

Hopefully this will tie me over until The Wicked King comes out (sobsob)

+ Isobel was the BEST narrator.
I freaking adored her. For starters she was realistic: this book features a sort of fae-roadtrip a bit, and Isobel ended up being filthy, her clothes stank, she got pimples, and she got cranky when she was hungry. LIKE HOLY HECK THIS WAS NICE TO READ. And she was addicted to art, had a knife-sharp sense of humour, and completely kept her head when like half the fae world tried to kill her. Go Isobel! (Also she was SHORT. Shout out to we short people who still get stuff done...except, ya know, reach tall cupboards.)

+ And Rook was the bessst.
He was so vain lmao and like this super tall autumn prince, warrior and knight and talented magician...and yet so childlike in the face of human things. He gets so confused when Isobel needs to eat. And she totally messes with him and it's ADORABLE. I just loved how earnest and sweet he was. Like here is a prince who could be very wicked, but is actually very respectful. And I loved how vain he was, it just made my day.

+ Ok so is the romance instalove?!
It is but it's also a discussion about instalove. Like Isobel meets Rook to paint his portrait and she "falls in love with him". But she doesn't really. She has a fluttering crush on this otherworldly gorgeous boy...and she realises this and admits it. I mean obviously after they're thrown into a whirlwind journey together of monsters and the Wild Hunt and rotting castles and evil kings, and they save each other and get to know each other -- they do truly fall in love. But I actually felt like this was a good example of unpacking the trope.

+ Also Isobel is an artists!
Faeries can't do any sort of art or creation here (I'm not sure why) so they relied on the humans for it all. Like writing or making clothes or painting etc. etc. Isobel does art and the whole book SHOWS how she's obsessed with it! Like her perspective turns the book into one big gorgeous canvas. The writing is so visual and dimensional, you don't just read faerieland, you fall facefirst into it and get entranced by the magic.

+ Other things I loooved:
☆ it actually has a scene where Isobel totally lays out that Rook is NOT to touch her without permission and like frikkin' hallelujah for books that care about respectful and unproblematic romance, especially between powerful vs unpowerful characters
☆ it IS SO FUNNY
☆ the cover is a gorgeous dream
☆ the ending is full of deliciously vicious twists
☆ i love faeries and how manipulative they are in general
☆ gorgeous writing
☆ so many ravens
☆ Isobel has two sisters who are enchanted into being little girls but they were goats and this is so wonderful
☆ i liiiiike it so much

I'm so so glad I read this one. It was kind of one I was worried I wouldn't like after seeing a ton of "meh" reviews but hOLD MY IRON AND SALT it was perfect for me and everything I love in a book. Whimsical and slightly vicious and entirely funny. Thank you for existing, little book.😍

"Probably not," I admitted.

"Somehow I've even grown fond of your -- your irritating questions, and your short legs, and your accidental attempts to kill me."
I recoiled. "that's the worst declaration of love I've ever heard!"

"Yes, I can. In fact, I must. I can't let any harm befall you so it's best I stay close."
"You could offer to sleep on the floor, like a gentleman."
He appeared horrified by the suggestion.
"And I'm not certain you're in any state to protect me," I went on, sensing a lost cause. "Just now you were almost assassinated by a teapot."
"Isobel." Rook looked at me gravely. "Isobel, listen. The teapot is of no consequence. I can defeat anyone, at any time."

"You look very fine this evening, Gadfly," I said without feeling.
"Yes, I know," he replied. "Yet I can't deny it's wonderful to hear my suspicions confirmed."

I seized the dagger from him. Having no idea what to do with it afterward, I lifted the cushion I was lying on and shoved it underneath, then threw my weight back on top. "Stop being melodramatic! I am not going to kill you in my parlour!"
He stared at me in disbelief. "Did you just sit on it?"
"Yes," I said mutinously.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Enchantment of Ravens.

May 5, 2017 – Shelved
May 5, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
May 20, 2018 – Started Reading
May 20, 2018 –
page 98
32.67% ""Yes, I know what cooking is," he said. "I was merely astonished that so many tools of your Craft can double as armaments. Is there anything you humans don't use to kill one another?"
"Probably not," I admitted.

OH I AM LOVING THIS BOOK."
May 20, 2018 –
page 127
42.33% "Isobel: You can't just cover up your wounds and ignore them???
Rook: but they're ugly
Rook: and i'm beautiful"
May 23, 2018 – Shelved as: 5-star
May 23, 2018 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
May 23, 2018 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
May 23, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
May 23, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
May 23, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

message 1: by Lara (new) - added it

Lara (Bookish_turtle) REALLY WANT TO READ THIS NOW! Your review has bumped it up on my TBR!

message 2: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Richards this is promising

message 3: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah I wanted to read this before but now it's a total priority. Love that teapot quote.

H.S.J. Williams Yeeeees!!!!!! This book was so refreshingly wonderful!!!!

C.G. Drews It's just excellent fun!! 😍😍

Pages & Paint Brushes (Morgan) I loved this book soooooo much! It was a Christmas present last year from my little sister. She knows just how obsessed I am with faeries and how much I enjoy painting and thought it would be the perfect book for me based on the synopsis. She was right! However, I still can't convince her to read it, too....

message 7: by Jess (new) - added it

Jess The Bookworm Great review, adding this to the To Read list

message 8: by Lady Poppy (new) - added it

Lady Poppy I don’t know where else to put this but goodreads low key shared one of your statuses on Facebook!

message 9: by Tracey (new) - added it

Tracey Dyck I WANT TO READ THIS SO BAD. I'm in love with your review, btw. XD

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Lady Poppy: Ahh yes I saw!! That's so nice haha.

message 11: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Tracey: Aww thank you! I love books that I can just spend the whole review gushing over them! 😍

Annemieke / A Dance with Books All of the reviews made me so hesitant about this one but glad to hear you really liked this. :D

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews I was super hesitant too haha, but it just turned out to be such a ME book!! I'm glad I got it. 😍😍

message 14: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Writes Haha the quotes of dialogue made me LOL so hard

message 15: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews they are THE FUNNIEST

Veronikah Apparently I had ALREADY liked your review of this wonderful wonderful book. ASKLASDALK PAST ME KNEW WHAT SHE WAS DOING!!! Listen, listen, I finished this book eleven hours ago and I'm still grinning like an idiot. Your review totes put into words my feelings and my permanent grin :D
Also YAS for the "instalove" I hate how easily folks hate on stories with this, obviously forgetting that many times it's a case of insta-crush (I mean, MCs are teenagers, it's like... a teenager thing!) so I ADORED how the author wrote it here, plainly and simple but also beautiful as heck. UGH, must resist the urge to reread right away, this hobbit has OTHER books to read smh