Theresa's Reviews > Dinner with a Perfect Stranger: An Invitation Worth Considering

Dinner with a Perfect Stranger by David Gregory

Aug 16, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed, first-reads, books-i-own
Recommended to Theresa by: GoodReads Giveaway
Read on August 18, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: once

I had won my copy of Dinner with a Perfect Stranger by David Gregory in a giveaway on GoodReads.com.

The title and premise of the book intrigued me. I do so love reading novels about religion, religious history, and the like. I picked up the book to glance through it and commenced reading; the book being only 100 pages did not take me long to finish.

When Nick first received his invite to have dinner with Jesus, he was certain it was a joke being played on him by his office buddies. But when Nick shows up to dinner the night unfolds into something he did not expect.

I enjoyed the way the chapters where laid out; the events unfolding from receiving the invitation to being seated, glancing at the menu, appetizers, etc… all the way through to getting the bill and going home.

Although in the beginning Nick treats the dinner as a test to get this “actor” to crack --- “Tell me, can you turn this wine back into water?” He soon finds himself engaged in a conversation the like of which he has not had since his college years.

I liked how some of Nick’s questions were answered with parables, for instance, when Jesus asks Nick if he would give his life in the place of his daughters if she had committed a crime and was sentenced to death to explain Jesus dying for our sins. And although a lot of the questions Nick asked and the answers Jesus gave seemed to me to be the norm; ones I have heard many times before there were others I had not heard. The two touched on many of the other religions, Buddhism, Islam to name two.

As dinner progresses Nick realizes this man who claims to be Jesus knows a great deal about Nick’s life and the possibility that he is telling the truth starts to weigh in on Nick’s mind.

Reading the book as a novel and not as someone trying to preach to me made the book quite enjoyable. Personally, I feel that a lot of people are missing out on some excellent writing due to the fact that they cannot read a “Christian” novel because they are certain they are trying to be converted.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dinner with a Perfect Stranger.