tahirra1's Reviews > Mirror in the Sky

Mirror in the Sky by Aditi Khorana

May 04, 2017

bookshelves: asian-diaspora, sci-fi, young-adult

This book is part of my TBR list for #AsianLitBingo. If you haven't heard of it, you can look at Shenwei's post here, and check out the rest of my TBR here.

Jacket Copy: "For Tara Krishnan, navigating Brierly, the academically rigorous prep school she attends on scholarship, feels overwhelming and impossible. Her junior year begins in the wake of a startling discovery: A message from an alternate Earth, light years away, is intercepted by NASA. This means that on another planet, there is another version of Tara, a Tara who could be living better, burning brighter, because of tiny differences in her choices.

As the world lights up with the knowledge of Terra Nova, the mirror planet, Tara’s life on Earth begins to change. At first, small shifts happen, like attention from Nick Osterman, the most popular guy at Brierly, and her mother playing hooky from work to watch the news all day. But eventually, those small shifts swell, the discovery of Terra Nova like a black hole, bending all the light around it.

As a new era of scientific history dawns and Tara's life at Brierly continues its orbit, only one thing is clear: Nothing on Earth--and for Tara--will ever be the same again."

Review: There is so much to love about this book, and yet I'm sitting here so torn.

Let's start with the good: The characters, and the specter of Terra Nova and the repercussions for its existence. While the book started out a little too slow for me, by the time I got to the fourth chapter I was hooked. I literally could not put the book down.

The high school drama was interesting and reminded me of the good parts of Pretty Little Liars (I've only seen the show). Of course, there was nothing so drastic as a murder mystery in this. Tara navigates school as she is taken in by the popular group. While each of the popular kids seems like a stereotype at first, their layers slowly become apparent. They feel fleshed out, if still very larger than life.

The idea of Terra Nova was interesting. The way the world reacts to each additional piece of news was a creative backdrop to the story. The slow build-up of reactions to the news from individual characters to whole cities and countries heightened the tension and lent a gravitas to the story in some cases(view spoiler), but ultimately it was in the periphery.

Overall, it was so fun to read!

The not bad, but not so great: The lack of Terra Nova, and the ending.

While I understand that the discovery of Terra Nova is supposed to act as a catalyst for the changes every character experiences, and the overriding paranoia, it didn't seem all that neccessary(view spoiler). In all honesty, even though I loved the premise, there was no need for a sci-fi element in this story.

Occasionally there would be a line from Tara along the lines of "little did I know, things were about to change," that made me think something big was going to happen. Something "big" did happen, it just wasn't what I assumed. I assumed: GIANT ALTERNATE PLANET ADVENTURE!

It was (enjoyable) high school drama for the most part, with an interesting coming of age message. But I was hoping at some part Terra Nova would be more than a symbol in the book. And that was disappointing for me.

In addition to that, the ending was anti-climactic and predictable.(view spoiler) And even though I saw it coming, I dreaded it. I actually liked all of the characters, and even when it got messy I still wanted them to be happy. Of course, after the "thing" happens, the story just fades out with its little message.

In summation: I really liked this book! But being sci-fi, I expected more than a high school drama. It really didn't need the sci-fi backdrop in the end. That just might be my bias though. It just felt like an anti-climactic, missed opportunity.

Basically, I would read a sequel but not when I'm in the mood for science fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mirror in the Sky.

May 1, 2017 – Started Reading