Rob's Reviews > Cities of the Plain

Cities of the Plain by Cormac McCarthy

Aug 16, 2011

bookshelves: literature, read-in-2011, everyone-dies
Read from September 24 to October 16, 2011

(8/10) It's almost easy to forget about the rest of the book and just talk about the epilogue to Cities of the Plain, a beautiful and transcendent thematic coda that somehow manages to address fate, dreams, life, the universe and everything, all in beautiful language. The rest of the book is similar to the two that preceded it in the Border Trilogy: beautiful prose, a fairly standard plot, sentimentality about animals, and some uncomfortable racial elements. This is the most naturalistic of the trilogy -- possilby of McCarthy's entire ouevere -- and I was sad to see the day-to-day experiences of a group of farm hands, the last cowboys clinging to a dying lifestyle, fade away for another Mexican-girl-trouble storyline. Still, it's McCarthy so the novel never stops being beautiful, and then there's that gobsmacker of an ending. I'm not sure if I would reccomend the trilogy to anyone who wasn't already a converted McCarthyite, but this left me satisfied and a little overwhelmed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cities of the Plain.