Chris's Reviews > We Are Okay

We Are Okay by Nina LaCour

May 04, 2017

bookshelves: ya, not-graphic, life, love

"Tragedy," she says. "Heartbreak." She stops and then she makes sure that I'm looking at her. "Betrayal. . . .

"These are all things that change a person. If we endure them and we aren't changed, then something is wrong."
Miren knows she has been changed. She doesn't quite yet grasp how or into what, but she knows she can never go back to being who she was. And she fears that the new Miren will never fit into the life the old Miren knew. Her response has been to flee as far as possible with nothing, to live somewhere new and see who she becomes with no attachments or baggage. Well, no physical baggage. The emotional is overwhelming. And now, four months later, her old life is coming to visit and she's going to have to stop fleeing, start dealing with what happened.

This is a quiet book that dwells in Miren's grief. She has turned in on herself, and the story follows her there. With careful attention to atmosphere, excellently paced gradual reveals, and outward action that indicates her inner turmoil, it takes the journey into her pain and follows her as she takes stuttering steps toward something beyond. It's moving and quietly gripping.
There are degrees of obsession, of awareness, of grief, of insanity. Those days and nights in the motel room I weighed each of them against the other. I tried to make sense of what had happened, but each time I came up short. Each time I thought I may have understood, some line of logic snapped and I was thrust back into not knowing.

It's a dark place, not knowing.

It's difficult to surrender to.

But I guess it's where we live most of the time. I guess it's where we all live, so maybe it doesn't have to be so lonely. Maybe I can settle into it, cozy up to it, make a home inside uncertainty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Are Okay.

Quotes Chris Liked

Nina LaCour
“It’s a dark place, not knowing.
It’s difficult to surrender to.
But I guess it’s where we live most of the time. I guess it’s where we all live, so maybe it doesn’t have to be so lonely. Maybe I can settle into it, cozy up to it, make a home inside uncertainty.”
Nina LaCour, We Are Okay