Serethiel's Reviews > Coiled

Coiled by H.L. Burke

Greek mythology retold. A giant, man-eating serpent. A rejected princess with a hideous curse and an astounding gift.

From the moment I first heard about H.L.'s upcoming novel to the moment I saw the cover, I knew this was a story I wanted to read.

A retelling of Eros & Psyche, as well as a Beauty & the Beast retelling in its own right, Coiled is the story of Laidra -- a girl forced into hiding by her own family, treated as if she was the child who was never meant to be, and thrown into political schemes as bait for a monstrous snake.

The characters -- Calen is so adorable! Which is saying a lot, because I hate snakes. But (thankfully!), Calen was no problem for me! He was such a cute, lovely little ginormous guy! ^_^

ZEPHIA. She was probably my favorite character in the entire book! A clever, powerful demigoddess, daughter to a wind god? Yes, please!

And Valen. Uhg, Valen. He and his father are both such terrible people that I love/hate it. The pair of them would both, without a doubt, qualify for Paper Fury's "best worst villain to hate".

The romance -- The romance was definitely sweet. As the story progressed, however, I felt like the affection between Laidra and Calen was starting to be displayed a little too physically. A good dose of innocence in the romantic area would've been preferred, but otherwise, the romance was considerably clean. (See notes below.)

The writing -- H.L.'s voice is fast-paced, but not too much -- just enough to keep the story going at a likable, adventure-ready pace.

The setting -- The mythology elements shown through just enough to deliver an allegorical tale evidently set in a fantasy land inspired by ancient Greece. And, being the Greek mythology nerd that I am, I loved uncovering the subtle little references to characters such as Theseus and Perseus!

The plot -- About halfway through, when a certain unfortunate event occurred to a certain primary character, an unforeseen journey came into view. I tend to prefer romance in a story when it's "all or nothing", so I personally would've liked that journey to... not exist? It was certainly enlightening and relevant to the story, but I would've preferred to focus on the relationship between the main characters.

This made for such a lovely read! I'd recommend this to anyone searching for a sweet, romantic read with mythological elements thrown in. :)

You may want to know: There are some brief and rather undescriptive references to nudity, as well as strong suggestions/implications. There is violence and references to warfare, along with the involvement of "gods", drinking, magical elements, and kissing. The "ba-word" is used once.

NOTE: I received a free ebook copy of Coiled from the author, in exchange for my honest review. Read my original review here: http://livkfisher.blogspot.com/2017/0....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coiled.

May 4, 2017 – Shelved
May 4, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
May 29, 2017 –
1.0% "So, so, SO excited to finally be reading this! :D"
May 29, 2017 – Shelved as: arc
May 31, 2017 –
June 1, 2017 –
June 2, 2017 –
June 3, 2017 –
43.0% "These characters, yo. I'm obsessed. <3"
June 5, 2017 –
55.0% "Noooo! *sobs* My poor baby Calen!"
June 6, 2017 –
June 7, 2017 –
June 7, 2017 –
70.0% "Dear Volen,

you're a horrible person."
June 9, 2017 –
79.0% "Zo many thingz happeningz. ZO MANY FEEELZ.

(Calen and Laidra are being super cute right now, too. <3 )"
June 9, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-reads
June 9, 2017 – Shelved as: allegorical
June 9, 2017 – Shelved as: for-work
June 9, 2017 – Shelved as: mythology
June 9, 2017 – Shelved as: speculative-christian-fiction
June 9, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by H.L. (new) - added it

H.L. Burke I laughed evilly when I saw this ... evil author.