Zuky the BookBum's Reviews > The Walls

The Walls by Hollie Overton

bookshelves: 2017, dnf

DNF @40%

I am all too aware that my criticism of this book is going to be way more brutal than the average reader, but that's down the fact that I hated Baby Doll, Overton's debut novel, and so reading this one, I've automatically picked up on things I've disliked. But I'm glad I didn't continue to read this one.

What I couldn't get past was how unbelievable the relationship with Kristy and Lance was, right from the start. He shows up at her door in the evening, after one conversation... which is creepy. And then she lets him hang around the house after two conversations... that's weird. And then she lets him buy her things, like $1000 grills, after three conversations... I mean, what? That just wouldn't ever happen.

The romance part of this novel was class-A cheese. I hate romance in novels as it is, it just bothers me, but when it's subtle and doesn't take up too much of the plot, it's OK. In this novel it's not subtle at all, it's cheesy and it's right there, in your face. Thankfully, it simmers down at 25%... but by that point I was bored of reading this already.

This one was too slow for my liking. Nothing happened in the 40% of it that I read, and I admit it, I don't like Hollie Overton's writing style. For me, it feels like she's trying to hard to be cool and relate to us as readers. It's a nice gesture but it doesn't come across great.

I think it's now official that I don't get on with Overton's work and this means I won't try any more of her books. It will waste too much of my precious reading time.

P.S. This was meant to be a buddy reading with Annie @ The Misstery but she got through it in under 24 hours and I couldn't keep up because I was so bored. She also spoiled it for me (on my request) so I know what happens!

Thanks to Netgalley and Hachette Book Group for giving me the opportunity to read this one in exchange for an honest review. Sorry I didn't like it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walls.

May 4, 2017 – Shelved
May 4, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 19, 2017 –
page 13
3.21% "OK, so my edition is saying it only has 293 pages, not 416... should I be worried lol"
July 21, 2017 – Started Reading
July 21, 2017 –
page 41
10.12% "I update this as currently reading a few days ago, but I hadn't actually started reading it oops. Actually started today!"
July 21, 2017 –
21.0% "Changed it to % because the page numbers were confusing me. I already know I'm going to be so critical of this one after thinking Babydoll was a load of crap lol"
Finished Reading
July 24, 2017 –
July 28, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
July 28, 2017 – Shelved as: dnf

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

anionce Haven't read Baby Doll, but have requested this one... the premise looks great!

message 2: by Zuky (new) - added it

Zuky the BookBum Annie (The Misstery) wrote: "Haven't read Baby Doll, but have requested this one... the premise looks great!"

I requested this one too, even though I didn't like Baby Doll lol. This sounds great but whether it is or not, we'll have to wait and see!

message 3: by Ali (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ali Let me know your thoughs Zuky!!

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Yarnell So slow..... dnf.

message 5: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Chaplin Not believable by any stretch of the imagination....

message 6: by Zuky (new) - added it

Zuky the BookBum Katherine wrote: "Not believable by any stretch of the imagination...."

Totally agree with you there Katherine :-)

message 7: by Shaina (new)

Shaina I'm like you on the romance crap. No thanks. I think your review made lots of sense.