Elizabeth's Reviews > The Native Star

The Native Star by M.K. Hobson

Aug 16, 2011

bookshelves: kindle, historical-fiction, adult-fiction, sci-fi-and-fantasy
Recommended for: Laura, Mom
Read from August 25 to September 01, 2011

I picked this one up when it was recommended to me on Audible, since I had marked that I enjoyed Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell . Since I already had so many audiobooks queued up, I decided to read this one in its print format and queued it up on my Kindle instead.

It is similar to Jonathon Strange in the sense that it's an historical fiction that takes place in a world where magic and magic practioners are an everyday occurrence. Other than that, and the fact that it's an enjoyable read, the similarities stop there.

This is the story of a young backwater witch, raised in rural California at the end of the 19th century, who stumbles across something that results in her having to travel across the country with a more educated (and sometimes uppity and rude) warlock she doesn't much like, in order to have her problems solved and her questions answered.

When I stumbled on this book and read the description, I was excited and thought maybe this was going to be my great find of the summer. It wasn't quite as great as I had hoped it would be, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. I purchased and downloaded the second book in the series — The Hidden Goddess — this evening.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Native Star.

08/30/2011