Miriam Smith's Reviews > The Mayfly

The Mayfly by James Hazel

bookshelves: readers-first

I'm stunned at the professionalism and high quality writing of this brilliant book considering James Hazel is a new author and voice in the world of chilling and high octane thrillers!
I was well and truly hooked from the very first grisly page, where the author holds nothing back in the horrendous discovery of a mutilated body in a log cabin. We then switch to 1945 and the brutality and atrocities of Buchenwald concentration camp - with a mysterious order from a Military Intelligence Colonel. From then on it is non stop tension, intrigue, gruesome murders and blood pulsing moments incorporated in a well thought out and intelligent plot- this book pulls you in from the start and doesn't let you go until the nail biting finish.
There's some great engaging characters in this book and I really liked ex D.I turned London lawyer Charlie Priest who suffers from dissociative disorder- he's a terrific main character and someone I look forward to reading about in the author's future books in this series.
I can't recommend "The Mayfly" enough, and if you have the time, I seriously suggest you read this in a few a sittings as possible , it's so compelling - before you know it, the pages are turning quicker than you can keep up!
This is one of those books for me, where I wish I could give it more than 5 stars, it's exactly what I like in a book of this genre and without a doubt I expect it to do exceedingly well this year. Watch out for the name James Hazel, we will be seeing a lot more from him in the future!!
An amazing 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mayfly.

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)

Rachel Hall Woah, sounds super, but was it hard to follow how reliable Priest's take on the situation was with his many personalities? xx

Miriam Smith I loved it Rachel, missing it now it's finished lol! No, it was kept under control but made interesting reading! X

message 3: by Brenda (new) - added it

Brenda Wow!! Sounds intense. Adding right now. Such a great review, Miriam!!

Miriam Smith Ah thank you very much Brenda x

Rachel Hall I will keep an eye out - thanks Miriam xx

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie It's always exciting when an author writes such an impressive debut novel. Amazing review, Miriam!!

Miriam Smith It certainly is Julie, thank you x

Elaine Tomasso Great review Miriam. You've piqued my interest in this one. Thanks xx

Miriam Smith It was really good Elaine, thank you x

message 10: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Excellent review, Miriam!

Miriam Smith Thank you Deanna 😘

message 12: by sue (new)

sue This is on m reading pile

Miriam Smith Hope you enjoy it Sue 🤞I look forward to your review 😊

Maureen Great review Miriam.

message 15: by Anushree (new)

Anushree Amazing review Miriam……How was it for u? U likedd it eh?

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I'm so glad you enjoyed it as much as you did, sweetie =)

Miriam Smith Ah Melissa it was fab, highly recommed thank you hun 💕

Miriam Smith Anushree - thank you yes I did, can you tell hehe 😊

message 19: by Anushree (new)

Anushree Ha Ha Miriam...Thats great you loved it..What do you mean by can you tell? II dont get it :(

message 20: by Misty (new)

Misty Wow!!! You got me with this one. Thoroughly enjoyed this review, Mariam. I shall add this one to the list. 🙌🏽

Miriam Smith Thanks Misty, hope you enjoy if you get round to it! 😊

Miriam Smith Anushree - I meant from my enthusiasm in the review lol 😊

message 23: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Enjoyed your enthusiasm, Miriam. Sounds like I have to add this one to Mount TBR. Great review.

Miriam Smith Thanks Mike, enjoy when you get through your huge pile 😉

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Miriam wrote: "Ah Melissa it was fab, highly recommed thank you hun 💕"

You're most welcome =) ♥

message 26: by Anushree (new)

Anushree oHh...Ha ha Never mind Miriam :) x

Norma * Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Miriam! I think I might have to add this one! lol
:-)

Miriam Smith It's great Norma, thank you x

message 29: by Christine (new)

Christine Wow, Miriam, compelling review!!

Miriam Smith Ah thank you 💕

message 31: by James (new)

James probably 'grisly' since i don't think the book is about bears :)

Miriam Smith Haha yes, I'll change it now lol! Thank you James 👍

message 33: by Margitte (new)

Margitte One to consider. Love your review!

message 34: by Denise (new)

Denise Oooh sorry I missed out requesting this one! Sounds good. Great review.

Miriam Smith Thanks Margitte, hope you get to read it! X

Miriam Smith Thanks Denise, yes you missed a good one! X

message 37: by Denise (new)

Denise I got it!! I am in the throes, however, of concentrating on a class I am taking and I really want to read legal thrillers -- have any recommendations for me? Feel free to email or PM. Thanks!

message 38: by Susanne (new)

Susanne Strong So glad you liked this one Miriam! Nice review!

Miriam Smith Thank you Susanne xx

message 40: by Alexis (new) - added it

Alexis Great review Miriam, thank you :)