Tonya's Reviews > Reign of Madness

Reign of Madness by Lynn Cullen

Aug 16, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: firstreads, fiction-historical
Recommended for: historical fiction lovers

Juana’s story in Reign of Madness is one of unsure teen growing into an unsure woman who finally, after many years and too late, sees how she has fallen into the hands of a selfish husband and later into a power hungry father.

I enjoyed Juana’s story as it was written by Lynn Cullen; I found it, at times, beautiful. We the reader can see the foreshadowing of Juana’s future as we read along, at times I wanted to take her aside and whisper in her ear that she “really shouldn’t talk about that” or “don’t let them think that!” Cullen's use of foreshadowing was slightly overdone but somewhat understandable when you realize many readers who will be picking up this book have little to no knowledge of the Spanish royalty or their history.

I found the storyline that involved Diego Colon a tad unbelievable and near the end of the novel I found it sad that the author made him so important to Juana. I disliked that Juana did a complete turnaround on her feelings for her husband and the reader wasn't given much of a reason why since she kept her mostly childish outlook about every other person she knew.

I do have trouble with Cullen’s interpretation of Juana’s personality in some ways but we all have certain historic persons we feel we know better than anyone else and when we suspend our own imaginings and read another’s we can either like what they’ve done or hate it. I did find Juana childish and unbelievably naive most of the time but I choose to like the novel anyway.

All in all a good read, mostly accurate historical facts are included with the plainly imagined, the characters in the novel acted like real people for the most part and personalities stayed true to the characters as the novel went on.

** Disclosure: I received this book free through a Goodreads Firstreads giveaway **

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reign of Madness.

August 16, 2011 – Shelved