Cindy Hale's Reviews > The Things They've Taken

The Things They've Taken by Katie McElhenney

bookshelves: ya-romance, ya, paranormal-romance, netgalley

This book grabbed me and sucked me into its world from page one. The world that the author created was described with vibrant detail, often funny imagery. Throughout the read, I felt as though I was right alongside Lo and Shaw, helping them fight off evil creatures. The book featured multiple settings, jumping from a honky-tonk bar, to a trailer in the woods, to a waterfall, to a rest home, to a mortuary, to a museum, to a boardwalk on the Jersey coast.

I really liked Lo as a character. I felt her pain as she struggled to find her mom. She showed a ton of character growth throughout the book. Although she constantly faces what seems to be impossible odds, she never wavers in her quest to rescue her mom. I found it interesting that the author chose to have Lo and her mother emotionally distanced for the year leading up to the start of the book. I think it made the story more believable and it made Lo's determination to find her mom all the more endearing.

Shaw... What a hottie. He's the silent, stoic, strong type. I sensed from the first moment he appeared in the story that he had depth to him. Although Lo, doubted his affection for her, it was clear to me that his attraction had been growing for her throughout the book. And not just her face or body, but her on the inside. I would have liked to see a bit more connection between them, but I suspect that their relationship will build throughout the rest of the series...whether they like it or not.

Overall, this was an enjoyable read, sprinkled with sexual tension, mythical creatures, danger, and plenty of teen angst. Just my kind of book. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Things They've Taken.

April 30, 2017 – Started Reading