Amy Byer Shainman's Reviews > Dangerous Boobies: Breaking Up with My Time-Bomb Breasts

Dangerous Boobies by Caitlin Brodnick

bookshelves: brca-books

I've never met comedian and author Caitlin Brodnick but I have heard her voice on her Screw You Cancer series: https://video.glamour.com/series/scre... Full disclosure: I also interviewed Caitlin via twitter for a blog post on this book: http://thebrcaresponder.blogspot.com/...

My favorite thing about "Dangerous Boobies" is its authentic voice; as I read it was as if Caitlin was reading it to me, in her sweet chirpy voice she writes like she talks raw, honest, fast, confident, sometimes insecure, often anxious, heartily reflective and mostly, "udderly" hysterical. Yup, that was me attempting channel my inner Caitlin.

As an advocate for those with BRCA and other hereditary cancer syndromes, I was excited to read Brodnick's book. I absolutely applaud anyone who is willing to be so open with their experience and Brodnick not only did this with her Screw You Cancer Series but with her book too. All was seemingly rosy as she was recovering in the last of her Screw You Cancer episodes, answering viewer questions. However, we learn in the book that all was not easy. Caitlin sheds light on tougher times post surgery, including struggling with serious depression.

I appreciate the places in the book where Brodnick gets statistics and information straight from the experts. Regarding genetic testing, I am thankful she says to see a genetic counselor and find out the facts. (I'm adding here that you can find a certified genetic counselor by phone or in person at: http://nsgc.org)

If you want to get a quick taste of Caitlin's humor and tone, just take a look at her chapter titles. My favorite one..."CANCER IS AN EMOTIONLESS BITCH WHO WILL RUIN YOUR BRUNCH PLANS"! Another chapter, TITTY TITTY BANG BANG: THE SEX PART, where she discusses having sex with her husband for the first time after surgery. The first sentence of that chapter is "Author's note: Dad and Grandpa, please skip to page 145." So perfect.

And, I cannot end this review without mentioning some stunning similarities I learned Caitlin and I have:

1. We both have the BRCA 1 5385insC mutation
7. We both have fair skin and reddish hair
8. We both have one leg shorter than the other

Very happy I read this.
Very funny. Very real.
Very happy this is a resource I can recommend to others!
XO Amy @BRCAresponder

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dangerous Boobies.

May 3, 2017 – Shelved
May 3, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
September 23, 2017 – Started Reading
September 23, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
October 10, 2017 – Finished Reading
January 4, 2019 – Shelved as: brca-books

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Tracey I’m BRCA-1 5835insC as well & just recently found out I’m 1.5% Ashkenazi Jewish via DNA testing!