An Odd1's Reviews > My Lord and Spymaster

My Lord and Spymaster by Joanna Bourne

Aug 15, 2011

bookshelves: mystery, fan, fun, x-rate, action

Best yet. Opens at a London slum area dock, in a dark icy rain. Lovely Jess shivers, cold, wet, and hard in pertinent points within the first dozen pages. To save her father from the noose, she throws herself at her suspect for pro-Napoleon traitor, Captain Sebastian.

After he rescues her, unconscious, from knife-wielding thugs who knock her down, her large savior becomes larger and also firmer in his pertinent point. Their points set the classification to Hot, despite the circumspectly worded culmination. She sees him fill the world, outside and inside.

Funny.
"My dress got wet, so you cut it off. You must be a right terror in a thunderstorm."
"He was going to want this woman when she was a wrinkled hag."
"With Jess you knew when she was willing, because you didn't get your teeth knocked out."

Both are clever, brave, funny, like and alike, not really on opposite sides. I do not know another author with such a style of contrasting directness, restraint, and laughter.

Totally standalone best. Adrian and Doyle appear before, but their roles are complete within the covers. No unnecessary name dropping or extra empty place-settings. No cliff-hangers or open ended problems to be solved only by spending money. I like preview excerpts, but will look for her next work no matter.

"The air could be full of Georges and Clarences and Prunellas if they gave birds proper names." We dance across rooftops with the light-footed and -fingered accounting whiz femme fatale, never bogged in research detail or looking up words. Exceptions: I did search for full lyrics and melody to "The Oyster Girl" to set the mood.

I wasn't sure of a rough translation to "milling kens", millikens = burglary, crowbar used for breaking into houses. http://www.forkinggeorge.com/gentlema...

Who is the master spy? Her Captain or her father? They surreptitiously search each other's possessions for evidence, wary till late in the story. "He kissed her for a while, and it just got better and better." Not until the final three chapters and thirty pages do they venture more.

"When they were through in bed, she was going to kill him." I learned what went where, decades before I understood why. Bourne speaks to how, with romance greater than passion, though bodies respond physically before emotionally.

The master villain is disclosed not until the second last chapter, only 25 pages left, consigned to fate in the last five-page chapter. I never guessed, maybe I was more concerned with the detectives than their mystery? Definitely worth reading again. People flocked to the Titanic movie, knowing the ship sank.
(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Lord and Spymaster.

August 15, 2011 – Started Reading
August 15, 2011 – Shelved
Finished Reading
August 17, 2011 – Shelved as: mystery
August 17, 2011 – Shelved as: fan
August 17, 2011 –
page 324
100.0% "Best of series. Funny. Bed scene and master villain reveal saved till very end."
August 21, 2011 – Shelved as: fun