Sarah Grace's Reviews > The Girl Who Could See

The Girl Who Could See by Kara Swanson

bookshelves: adult, adventure, fantasy, indie, my-favorites, young-adult, i-own
Recommended for: Ages 14+ for thematic elements

Wow, that was . . . just wow! This book is pretty awesome, ya'll.

First things first: THAT COVER! *swoon* I am in love! So gorgeous and so perfectly portrays the story! Simply lovely!

While the paranormal\speculative\sci-fi genre is not one I often read, and I have very few favorites, I was immediately drawn into this one! The character of Fern was realistic and relatable (even if you don't still have an imaginary friend. :D) from the very first page. I also love her niece, Elinor. The author did a great job with her character; some people struggle with writing little children, but Kara hit the nail on the head! I could completely picture her adorable little-girl actions and expressions. Super sweet! Tristen was also a great character. I think my favorite character is FBI agent Barstow; sarcastic, and quite crusty, but you find out he does have a heart! And, he's an FBI agent, I mean come on! It doesn't get much cooler. ;)

The story was very well done and very believable - I mean, as believable as a story in this genre can be. The little bit of time jumping was well written so as to not be confusing. I struggled a little bit to understand some of the parallel world stuff, but that's probably just me, as my brain does not work that way. The end climax was quite well done and wrapped everything up neatly. The little twist at the end was both surprising, heart-breaking, and very welcome! (Yes, that's contradictory, but you'll just have to read the book yourself!)

One thing that I loved in particular was the romance, or should I say, lack there of. It was kept to a bare minimum, which I appreciated. Kara definitely could have made it MUCH more romance, but I am very glad she didn't! It was more of a natural afterthought, than an obtrusion or main storyline.

CONTENT NOTE: There is practically no content! A few mentions of a wound and blood, but nothing terribly graphic, the violence was pretty minimal and mostly talked about, not actually portrayed. There was one kiss that went on a bit too long for me, but under the circumstances, it was rather understandable and easily skimmed. Some "thematic elements" may be a bit graphic for younger readers, like (view spoiler), so I would recommend it for ages 14-15+.

All in all, very well done! I really enjoyed this book, and there were numerous times I just could. not. put. it. down. Gripping, exciting, and an all round enjoyable read! I will definitely be buying a paperback as soon as this releases! Highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Could See.

Quotes Sarah Grace Liked

Kara Swanson
“Why would you give up your life from a world that doesn't even believe you exist?'
A cough wracks his body, but his grip on me remains strong.
'Because I believe everyone should have the chance to live.”
Kara Swanson, The Girl Who Could See

May 2, 2017 – Shelved
May 2, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
May 4, 2017 – Started Reading
May 4, 2017 –
6.0% "Quite interesting so far!"
May 5, 2017 –
50.0% "Goodbye school, life, piano practice . . . This book says I am busy all day."
May 5, 2017 – Finished Reading
May 11, 2017 – Shelved as: adult
May 11, 2017 – Shelved as: adventure
May 11, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
May 11, 2017 – Shelved as: indie
May 11, 2017 – Shelved as: my-favorites
May 11, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 16, 2017 – Shelved as: i-own

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Victoria Lynn That cover tho. *swoon* I will read it merely on the gorgeousness if the cover alone! and the fact that my little sis said she loved it. :D

message 2: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary I thought the same upon first glance...beautiful cover, and she says it's good...

Sarah Grace Victoria wrote: "That cover tho. *swoon* I will read it merely on the gorgeousness if the cover alone! and the fact that my little sis said she loved it. :D"

I know I know I know!! That's actually what made me want to read it first, haha!

Sarah Grace Mary wrote: "I thought the same upon first glance...beautiful cover, and she says it's good..."

*nods*

JonathanT Oh my goodness same I literally shelved this based off the cover xD Now I'll have to buy myself a copy since you liked it so much!

Sarah Grace JonathanT wrote: "Oh my goodness same I literally shelved this based off the cover xD Now I'll have to buy myself a copy since you liked it so much!"

Haha! You should! Although it is not published yet. I believe June 1st is when it releases. :)