Dan Schwent's Reviews > The Sound of Broken Ribs

The Sound of Broken Ribs by Edward Lorn

May 04, 2017

bookshelves: 2017-books, 2017

When Belinda Walsh's husband leaves her homeless and penniless, she goes out looking to ruin someone else and runs down writer Lei Duncan. Only Lei Duncan lives and isn't in the mood to be ruined.

The Lorn hit me up to read an ARC of this and I was game. After all, he's never let me down before. This books kicks the Lornography up several notches.

The Sound of Broken Ribs is a horror novel about loss, revenge and pain. If you had the chance to get revenge upon someone that wrecked you life, would you do it? How would you go about it?

Edward Lorn's writing has always reminded me of a young Stephen King's: lean, evocative, and powerful. Actually, this reminds me of Stephen King in another way. Lei Walsh is run over while running along the road.

Lei's road to recovery and revenge was painful. I even felt sorry for Belinda's hit and run ass. This book is one calamity after another and almost impossible to put down.

I can't praise this book enough. If I hadn't already anointed Edward Lorn the Future of Horror, I would with this book. Five out of five stars.

* You can buy The Sound of Broken Ribs here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound of Broken Ribs.

May 2, 2017 – Started Reading
page 83
page 83
page 111
page 118
47.58% "So fucking great!"
page 121
page 155
page 184
page 200
page 226
May 4, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-books
May 4, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
May 4, 2017 – Finished Reading

Ɗắɳ  2.☊ Hmm, you've piqued my interest. Maybe it's finally time to dip my toe into some Lorn books.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Ɗắɳ 2.✽ wrote: "Hmm, you've piqued my interest. Maybe it's finally time to dip my toe into some Lorn books."

I think Bay's End is free on the kindle. It's a good place to start.

Ɗắɳ  2.☊ Isn't that the one that he hates? I seem to recall him chastising Kelly for loving one of his early works, and I believe it was that one.

message 4: by Edward (last edited May 16, 2017 10:46AM) (new) - added it

Edward Lorn Chastised is a harsh word. I used to pick on her for loving my book and hating the one that inspired it, but (I thought) it was all in good fun. Wouldn't be the first time I read something wrong though, as I'm sure you'd agree. ;)

message 5: by Edward (new) - added it

Edward Lorn Dan wrote: "Ɗắɳ 2.✽ wrote: "Hmm, you've piqued my interest. Maybe it's finally time to dip my toe into some Lorn books."

I think Bay's End is free on the kindle. It's a good place to start."

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Seems like history is rewriting itself once again since I never read The Traveling Vampire Show until this past winter, but whatever. Glad this one was a winner for you Dan.

message 7: by Edward (new) - added it

Edward Lorn Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Seems like history is rewriting itself once again since I never read The Traveling Vampire Show until this past winter, but whatever. Glad this one was a winner for you Dan."

And that's the review I commented on. Before that it was you commenting on my negative comments on my own review about how people shouldn't listen to me.

Had I known I upset you, I would have stopped and apologized. I figured it was all said in jest, from both sides. Just two friends picking back and forth. I'm sorry if what I said was out of place. I mean that.

Ɗắɳ  2.☊ Edward wrote: "It's not available at this time, Dan. I had to unpublish it because it's being picked up by a publisher next year. Sorry about that, Dan 2.0."

No worries, Ed. I'm sure I'll find plenty of books to read in the meantime, but I'll keep an eye out for it's arrival. :)

message 9: by Edward (new) - added it

Edward Lorn Cool. Thanks for the interest, dude. :)

message 10: by Richard (last edited May 16, 2017 05:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Richard Hell yea. I'll be reading this one when it's available.

message 11: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Richard wrote: "Hell yea. I'll be reading this one when it's available."

You won't be disappointed

message 12: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Would like to read. Will it become available on amazon kindle?

message 13: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Peggy wrote: "Would like to read. Will it become available on amazon kindle?

p.s. I love to read all you book reviews. A lot of time it will determine if a read a book or not. Thanks"

Thanks, Peggy! Ed's working on getting it on the kindle.

message 14: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse Dan, this sounds great!!!

message 15: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse where do I find this book?

message 16: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Elyse wrote: "where do I find this book?"

Here but it's not out yet:

Katie Been waiting for this one. Glad to hear it's good.

message 18: by Mike (new)

Mike Fantastic review, Dan. Really liked this observation you made:

"Anyway, the writing is lean and mean and the twists cut right to the bone. Every time another twist hit me like a speeding car, I'd look at the number of pages left and wonder "What the hell else can happen to these characters?" Sure enough, worse things were always lurking around the curve."

message 19: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars