Paromjit's Reviews > Big Little Lies

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

F 50x66

bookshelves: mystery, netgalley

This is my first read of a Liane Moriarty book and I have to admit I found it engaging and entertaining. Set in Australia in a Sydney suburb, it has the measure of certain small communities and focuses on three women. Madeline is feeling bitter about her ex-husband and his new family, Celeste is beautiful, thin, and rich, seems to have everything including the envy of other women, and incomer Jane become friends on a orientation day at their childrens' kindergarten at Pirriwee Public School, Its a world of competitive mums, gossip, smothered parenting, the past and secrets. An accusation of one child bullying another starts to draw the battlelines between the parents.

However, once you start penetrating the surface, a number of dark issues emerge such as rape, bullying, domestic abuse and less than happy lives. And oh, yes, those big and little lies. Then there is murder and mystery at the school trivia night with the police interviewing parents. This is a story that I found myself drawn into and it even has a twist. It homes in on the divide between what is happening in the private personal sphere and the public face and gloss. A read that definitely captured my attention. I haven't seen the tv series yet but have heard many good things about it. Thanks to Penguin Michael Joseph for an ARC.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Big Little Lies.

May 2, 2017 – Started Reading
May 2, 2017 – Shelved
May 2, 2017 – Shelved as: mystery
May 2, 2017 – Shelved as: netgalley
May 2, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Cheri Wonderful review, Paromjit, I read this years ago when it first came out, and when my son told me it was going to be an HBO mini-series, I couldn't remember a thing about it except some drama around the PTA / moms, but I enjoyed it a lot when I read it! Enjoyed the series, too, hope you get a chance to watch it!

Carol I was honestly surprised to be drawn into this one Paromjit. It was fun, real and serious all at the same time.

message 3: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Smith Lovely review Paromjit x

message 4: by William (new)

William Great review, Thank you. My wife and I just finished watching the superb TV version, set in Monterrey, California.

Margitte Lovely review, Paromjit. This was a great book indeed.

Paromjit Cheri wrote: "Wonderful review, Paromjit, I read this years ago when it first came out, and when my son told me it was going to be an HBO mini-series, I couldn't remember a thing about it except some drama aroun..."

Thank you my lovely Cheri. I kept on hearing about this book and it has received a lot of hype because of the TV series, which I plan to see. There were so many reviews on the book, that I was at a loss to know what to say about it. Much love.

Paromjit Carol wrote: "I was honestly surprised to be drawn into this one Paromjit. It was fun, real and serious all at the same time."

Carol, I must say that I felt just like you did about it. Definitely a book I am glad that I read. xox

Paromjit Miriam wrote: "Lovely review Paromjit x"

Thank you so much my dear Miriam, so kind :)

Paromjit William wrote: "Great review, Thank you. My wife and I just finished watching the superb TV version, set in Monterrey, California."

Thank you William, So good to hear that the series is that good!! Much appreciated xo

Paromjit Margitte wrote: "Lovely review, Paromjit. This was a great book indeed."

Thank you Margitte, I think the whole world read it before me!!!

message 11: by Jaidee (new)

Jaidee No Paromjit you are not the last. I have yet to read it....so you are second last :P

Nicely reviewed !!

Paromjit Jaidee wrote: "No Paromjit you are not the last. I have yet to read it....so you are second last :P

Nicely reviewed !!"