Claire O'Connor's Reviews > Small Island

Small Island by Andrea Levy

bookshelves: 2017
Read 2 times. Last read April 3, 2017 to April 20, 2017.

Set in 1948, both Hortense and Gilbert’s desire for living the dream in the ‘mother Country’ land them together in their struggle to make their way in a new World. This World is not the one they thought it was and it takes time to make sense of it all. Their lives intertwine with an English couple who are also stumbling blindly through the war and the aftermath, reassessing their own moral compasses
This is, quite frankly, the best novel I’ve read in some time. Insightful and full of revelations, Levy teaches us a lessons in misconceptions of identity. Along with learning some valuable British and Jamaican history, I rejoiced in such well written characters and was immersed in the evoking plot from start to finish.
Structurally, the novel was not ordered in a traditional way. Each chapter represented the perspective of one character. They were not divided equally nor in chronological order. No, they were strategically ordered in a way to reveal each characters past and how it effected their present circumstances.
I miss this book and would love to read about these characters further on in their lives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Small Island.

Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
April 3, 2017 – Started Reading
April 12, 2017 –
page 380
86.17% (Other Paperback Edition)
April 15, 2017 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
April 20, 2017 – Finished Reading