Kate's Reviews > The Last Final Girl

The Last Final Girl by Stephen Graham Jones

May 17, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: 2017, age-adult, horror, humor

In a high school where everyone knows horror movie formulas and could be a final girl, who will survive? Lindsay managed to survive a massacre from the killer known as Billie Jean for his Michael Jackson mask, but obviously the grand finale will be homecoming. With her entire homecoming court slaughtered, she must pick a court full of final girls. Izzy thinks she knows how it will play out, but maybe there are a few surprises in store for her.

This book read like the novel version of "Scream." Lots of meta, horror movie references, characters who think they know how horror movies go but then fall right into those same tropes. The references came fast and furious, a little too fast - and I love horror movies, and got most of the references, but sometimes it felt like there were too many. That and the way the story is cut like we're watching a film: the transitions were separated out as if a camera was panning from one character's gaze to another scene. It was a cool idea, and if it was used perhaps more sparingly I wouldn't have felt so - rushed? dizzy? like I was flying all over the place? Instead I finished this book wishing I'd been able to stay in a scene for longer than a minute. This also made it very difficult to have any connection to the characters. It's unfortunate, because I love the idea of this book better than I enjoyed the experience of reading it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Final Girl.

May 2, 2017 – Shelved