Kate's Reviews > Dissected

Dissected by Megan Bostic

May 02, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: 2017, age-ya, psychological, realistic

Sydney has always been a bit dark, especially since her mom left, but after her boyfriend cheats on her with her best friend, she starts cutting herself and doing drugs. It isn't long before she ends up in the hospital, and then she must begin the long road to recovery.

This was a super fast read. The beginning fools you a bit, because it's all happy in love, even though you know Syd often thinks about suicide. While she isn't suicidal, she does have a lot of self-destructive behaviors. I have a soft spot for books about "mental hospitals," and this had plenty of what I love. The hospital she lands at is more of a group care placement, and the staff were positively portrayed, which is a change from most stories I read about places like this. I guessed the truth about Elam (view spoiler) pretty early on. The dialogues during the therapy sessions felt a bit forced and stiff, although the other dialogue throughout was more natural and realistic. Happily, though half the story is about Syd's downward slide, a good chunk of the book is about her recovery.

I found this book at a library book sale, and I remembered reading the author's other book, Never Eighteen, and also that she's one of my writing buddies on the Nanowrimo site. Not sure how this self-published book came to be in a library book sale, but it made me realize how much I love used books, because that's how a book lives on.

Parental advisory: Lots of strong language, teen drinking and drug use, and some non-graphic sex scenes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dissected.

May 2, 2017 – Shelved