Helen's Reviews > Lagoon

Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor

liked it
bookshelves: book-club, diversity, fantasy, magic, sci-fi, reviewed, feminist

Aliens land in the water off the coast of Nigeria in this sci-fi first contact novel. What follows is chaos as the city starts to destroy itself through fear.

There are a lot of different voices in Lagoon, some only for one or two chapters. Normally I would find that confusing but here it worked well as it dropped into different people around Lagos to show events rather than having the main characters be everywhere and see everything. It did make it a bit hard to really connect with or care about any of the characters though as it's a short book anyway and meant that even less time was spent on telling the main characters stories.

I loved the sci-fi side, there were a lot of fresh ideas that made this really interesting. There are African mythology and magic elements mixed in too, but I don't know anything about African myths and these weren't explained enough for them to make sense for me. They seemed to be added at random and not add anything to the main story. I'm also not sure why the main characters had powers, or why they were chosen by the aliens.

It's very original and ambitious, and overall I enjoyed it. I liked the environmental / feminist / religious themes, but I think maybe there was just a bit too much in one book and I found it hard going at times to keep track of the main story. It's difficult to get into, but I think it's worth the effort for the fresh and modern perspective on sci-fi.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lagoon.

May 2, 2017 – Shelved
June 5, 2017 – Shelved as: magic
June 5, 2017 – Shelved as: sci-fi
July 3, 2017 – Shelved as: reviewed
July 3, 2017 – Shelved as: feminist

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Tony (new)

Tony No star rating?

Helen Tony wrote: "No star rating?"
I forgot it, thanks Tony!

message 3: by Tony (new)