Helen's Reviews > Labyrinth Lost

Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Córdova

A young adult fantasy about a Bruja living in Brooklyn.

The book starts when Alex is living with her mother and sisters in Brooklyn, dealing with school, family, and the emergence of her magic powers. This was my favourite part of the book. The story moves to the world of Los Lagos and though I enjoyed their fairytale-like journey through that land it was the parts set in Brooklyn that felt the most real and the most interesting to me. I'm hoping that the next book in the series will be set in Brooklyn.

I feel like it does take a lot of inspiration from the Mortal Instruments series but it manages to completely have its own personality and actually I enjoyed this a lot more. There's a lot of original elements in to keep it interesting, the story is fun and fast moving, and I loved the characters. Rishi deserves a book all of her own, and Alex is fun to read.

If I wanted to look for faults with it I could say that the writing is mostly ok but has moments where it's a bit stale; there's a fair bit of explaining what's just happened instead of showing it. The ending felt rushed and the big fight at the end was over almost before I realised it had started, there wasn't enough of the Labyrinth in it! But these are only minor issues for me, I very much enjoyed reading it and really I just wish it were longer.

Give this one a go, it's a fun and interesting read with a lot of originality and characters that will get under your skin, in a good way!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Labyrinth Lost.

May 2, 2017 – Shelved